GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Y Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:14:11 -0600

fyi..

From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Tribal Politics: Is that what Africa Needs?
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:44:06 -0600

Uncle Sarjo,

Thanks for your comments. I know Uncle Mathew has valid points especially with Jammeh's regime of terror. No doubt that the man called Jammeh is a rotten lunatic of the highest order, a devil for that matter that deaulted to the human species.

On the later article, the tone is just scary. This has every tendency to create a back-lash and incite tribal revenge and violence. Just because Jammeh is from the Jola tribe and a minority doesn't warrant the kind of demeaning to the Jola tribesmen. Leadership should not and never be based on tribal majority. It should be based on capability. The tribal formula will not work in Gambian politics. The sooner that Gambians rescue themselves of the menace the better we will be as a nation. Mathew lives in the US where Barack Obama from a minority still heads one of the greatest nations on earth despite being from the black race, a very minor one compared to the others.

Uncle Mathew as an elder is better engaging on the things that would progress our nation. The kind of sentiments that would make Jolas as targets of reprisal, harm, or bad omens will defeat the purpose of all our struggle when it is a known fact that Jammeh's regime is composed of people from all tribes, starting from Isatou Njie Saidy, Edu Gomez, Masanneh Kinteh, etc...I know Jammeh is sick, and loaded with the worst complexities on earth. I know he have tribal tendencies and has even taken the step to insult certain tribes and elders. Further, he did appointments based on those loyal to him--Jolas, Fulas, Mandinkas, manjagoes, Sarahulles all happen to be part of this otten package. For us to equate this trend of Jammeh, will equally make us the same as Jammeh.

As a regular reader of his articles, it is my humble feedback that he needs to peel off the tribal sentiments by getting his tone down. To see this kind of tribal sentiments, it is a clear sign of lacking substance to offer, or at least some complexity likely to move on to other generations of ours. Greater minds dream of how we can unite all these tribes after Jammeh is gone. Otherwise the tribal wounds will stay on, and at some point every tribal group will start crying wolf. There are a number of Jolas (example Syngle Nyassi) and his son, despite being Jolas, closeness to Jammeh's family, still refuse to be part of Jammeh's regime. There are hundreds of others. How do you think such will make someone like Syngle feel just as an example?

I am not totally dismissive of Mathew's points but to target the Jolas as those responsible for what Gambians are going through in a tribal way is not a valid argument. I am sure Mathew calls him self a panafricanist. Is that what Nkrumah would have wish to see from the Mathew he inspired by sending him a book from Ghana all the way to the Gambia?  Jammeh's injustices are spread across the board. That is what bad leaders are...oppress, maim, jail, kill and torture.

Thanks,
Yero

There is no god but Allah (SWT) and Muhammad (SAW) is His messenger. Fear and Worship only Allah alone!