GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
SUNTOU TOURAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:01:43 +0000
Not to bore folks here, Maafanta was hot again this past few days. I salute the annonymous writer AMNA for the brilliant piece made on the subject. I pick this few except from his/her statement:
"So here in order to understand the cultural underpinnings of Western civilization's practice of monogamy, one should also see its moral dimension. It seems that Western society inherited the non practice of polygamy but still tolerates serial monogamy, mistresses, et cetera, so if one looks at polygamy from a strictly sexual pursuit perspective, men from both polygamous and monogamous societies pursue multiple sexual partnerships, condoned by their societies on one form or another. MY POINT HERE IS  THAT THE BOTTOM LINE IS THE SAME (excluding any moral context) and recent examples of such in the West are Francois Mitterand, wife and official mistress, Pres Sarkozy, serial monogamist (3 wives to date), Berlusconi (serial monogamists and mistresses), Bill Clinton (monogamist and mistresses." AMNA
It is fitting that all the key ladies have now aired their opinion on the subject. It may now be necessary for others to have a say.
the truth here is not straight forward. For instance, Jabou concor with Fatou Jaw's argument that polygamy is not suitable in the west but i guess is good for unregulated serial girl friendship and free alotment in the sides of both men/women. But do the sisters realy think that, men like marrying more than one wife?
No man would actually ever marry a second wife if adultry is not against God's commandment.
 What is more sweet than, chanting a bird and enjoy each other's company without any cost?
Polgamy is a baggage that is not easy to carry.
The picture is not a rembrant telling us untracted history. Women in England are marrying already married men not for paper or financial gains.
 This women are already sorted, but due to whatever reason, single men aren't coming for them.
In Birmigham U.K, and other areas, this is not an issue. It is the women who sort the married men.
Thanks AMNA, although you are too liberal on the gay and other same sex folks for me. never the less, a well thoughtout argument. write more
suntou