GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 00:58:12 -0500
K B Ceesay,
If you do not have answers to my concerns or bother to try to understand my position on this issue, don't attempt to respond.
This system you are calling "rotten" is what has helped shape your educational success....whatever that is. So I find it very absurd of you to describe it as such.
K B Ceesay, can you give me ONE significant ill-effect caused to our educational system in the past fifty years by of the presence of these so called "foreign" teachers?
Are you trying to tell us that the government does not care if a school is shut down for however long it takes to replace sacked teachers? Government does not care about what happens to yours, mine and everyone's kids' and brothers' or sisters' education because of this decision?
I hope you understand that the short term effects of such action is what will translate into the long term educational problems of those who are going through the system right now.
I am in no way against the decision K B Ceesay, what I am concerned with is the manner in which the decision is implemented. I am quite sure that there are competent professionals at the DOSE who can formulate a comprehensive strategy that will help eliminate all unqualified teachers in the system over a period of time without having to paralyze the educational system or shut down any school for that matter.
I am not trying to down play the immense contribution made by our own indigenous teachers, but these foreign teachers have played a tremendous role in the success of students in high schools because of the experience and the understanding they have in the subject matter. There are others who were just in it for the money, of course!
The biggest problem with government decision now a days, according to my observation, is that they are always implemented to satisfy someone's emotional ego. When decisions are made and carried out with emotion, the rationality of the actions is lost in the process.

I hope you understand my position K B Ceesay.

Abdoulie A. Jallow