GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:01:47 EDT
Your prognosis of Gambian Groups atleast as it pertains to me and the GLC is
incorrect. You presented your analysis as being based on first hand
information. You have never asked me nor have I ever discussed with you my
specific role in GLC. Your deductions about the organization is your
entitlement but I think it is worthwhile for me to tell you how we met on
that day at Howard University. The concept for an umbrella organization was
Latjor Ndow's. He outlined it on Gambia-l and invited anyone interested to
join him on a plenary session to crystallize the concept. I have never met
Latjor prior to this preliminary session. I thought his concept had merit and
I wanted to be part of it. What difference does it make how a good ideas
emanates? You attempt to belittle the entire concept because you erroneously
construe it as being exclusionary. The guy thought it up, put it out and
invited all to work on it. That is n't good enough for you. I can understand
your frustration with the Gambian people's general penchant to be passive to
ideas but stretching that to be a reflection of incompetence or
lacklusterness  on the part of someone like Latjor is unfair. Latjor worked
hard and put together a darn good idea. It doesn't matter whether you think
professors or others joining him in improving those ideas in a public forum
to which all were invited including you is somehow still inadequate. What you
have managed to display in your frustration with organizations is a classic
case of self righteousness. Somehow no one is able to measure up to your
ideas of what makes for a good organization. Personally I am interested in
ideas and Latjor has plenty of good ones. Now that you have made it clear his
approach was problematic, I would like to urge you to advance a concept,
organize a forum and invite us all to discuss it. May be we would emerge once
and for all from our perpetual  organizational malaise. you can count me in
Karamba