GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 00:55:23 EST
Dad, thanx for sharing. What a way to sell PDOIS-2011. I mean the history
is all good but it seems to me Halifa and PDOIS were and still are part of
that  history. To now tell us we got to start over because the earlier
constitutions  were not explained to All the people of Gambia is incredible. I
think PDOIS has  been explaining the 1970 and 1997 constitutions to "ALL" the
people for over a  decade now. Look where that got them. It would seem self
evident to me that if  PDOIS translates the current constitution into
Mandingo, Fula, Wollof,  Sarahule, Jola, Serer, Aku, and Manjago, that they would
get more mileage out of  it than try to explain it in English to ALL the
people of Gambia. That  still would not alter Gambia's history. So to say we
have to go back now and do  the explaining to all the people would imbue
patriotism in the people to become  independent from Britain again is
mind-boggling. We may not have been  independent in 1965 or perhaps in 1970, but by God
we are now independent of  Britain. We are not going back to prosecute
history because it will be another  history we will make. And that may keep us
unindependent from Britain. What a  waste of time and intellect. Revisionism
is for the faint-hearted. History is a  permutation of events. It is not
linearly iterative. Altering one single regime  of events in history(explaining
the constitutions to all the people), if that is  possible, will alter the
entire history. That will not necessarily  alter the outcome of your history.
It merely alters the permutation of events.  People alter their own
histories. Not the events. Explaining constitutions  to all the people does not
necessarily yield comprehension or the same  comprehensions.

I suggest we work with what we've got and make it better. If you were to
pick Halifa up right now and drop him in the middle of Suomi and tell him
this  is your new home from now on, I'm not sure he'll survive for a week. Life
is  dynamic. We cannot turn back time because the new arrivals can't wait
for us to  do that. So we need to learn to solve our problems as they are
presented to us  each day. Learning history is good for all societies. It is
the lessons of  history we must use to adapt to contemporaneous challenges.
This is cheap  propaganda. Let's begin again because we needed PDOIS leading
us inorder to be  certified independent. Its like saying "follow me to the
BIG DINKO and we can  climb out the other slope and be independent of the
DINKO. Just the thought of  it is exasperating.

Any criminals and criminalities among us will still survive constitutions.
So I say instead of starting from square one (I don't know why PDOIS likes
going  back to drawing boards? Can't they get it right the first time? And
how many  times should we be going back to drawing boards anyway?), confront
the  malignancies and criminalities today that reduce your sovereignty to
nil. If you  can't do that, please give us our friggin peace.

Vat is zis??? Haruna. I don't want to be recolonized so I can be better
independent. NO. I'm not kona do it.

In a message dated 3/4/2010 3:37:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,