GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Essau Gambia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 14:50:58 -0400
 The Freedom Newspaper Management is pleased to welcome the paper's
Editor-in-chief Omar Bah  to the United States of  America. Editor Bah
arrives here few days ago, after spending one year in exile in the West
African country of Ghana. Editor Bah was forced into exile, following the
hacking of the Freedom Newspaper by agents of The Gambian Government in May
of 2006, which led to the arrest and  brutal torture of its subscribers. Bah
who serves as our Banjul Bureau Chief then, was declared "wanted" by the
Jammeh government. A team  of armed soldiers launched an unsuccessful
operation to get him "alive or dead" if seen within the frontiers of the
impoverished tiny former British colony, The Gambia. Bah a one time Daily
Observer News Editor, left his wife and family behind, who suffered routine
persecution from the trigger happy Jammeh gun men since he left the Gambia.
Thanks to the US Government and the Ghana Based Media Foundation For West
Africa, Bah has reunited with us here in the land of Freedom Great America.

We at the Freedom Newspaper appreciates the move taken by the US government
to provide sanctuary to our own colleague Omar Bah. We have no doubt in our
mind that Bah was going to be killed if apprehended by the murderous Jammeh
government. Bah is a dead man walking, as he slightly escapes death. Jammeh
and his thugs would be shocked today, upon learning about Bah's presence in
the US. Despite their repeated sinister campaign to discredit Bah's case of
settling here, we are pleased to announce that the pioneers of  "Freedom"
Great America have  come to our aid by providing protection for our
colleague. America has been a  big supporter of press freedom and cannot
afford to watch by and allow Jammeh and his thugs to murder Bah.  Never!!
Please join our editorial team in welcoming Editor Bah to the United States.
Bah feel at home. You are now in the land of Freedom. A land with a lot of
liberties. A land with a lot of opportunities. A land where you can go to
bed without having the fear of being visited by Jammeh's secret police. A
land where you can  freely express your views, without having the fear of
being placed in Jammeh's torture chambers at the Marina Parade in Banjul.

We are not in this media business to make name. We love our country and her
people. That is why we put our lives on the line to defend press freedom and
democracy on the continent. The civilized world appreciates our tireless
efforts to promote democracy in our dear mother land the Gambia, through the
might of our pens. We are making a big difference in our quest to provide
Gambians and friends of the Gambia, balanced, objective, accurate,unbiased
 and up-to-date news.

To those of you, Jammeh hit men interested in seeing our down fall, we say
relax. We are blessed and well guided by the All Mighty God. Bah,  like
other Freedom Newspaper satffers and  subscribers suffered untold
persecution from the hands of Jammeh's bully agents. We are being condemned,
oppressed and vilified because of our uncompromising stance towards
nurturing press freedom in the Gambia. It's our ardent belief that all human
beings are entitled to their "God given" right to free expression and
speech. Under Jammeh's watch there is nothing like "free expression and
speech." Some of us who took the risk to serve the voiceless are paying for
the price. The government forces us into exile. We are resoulte and
determined to spearhead the media struggle we started to make the Gambia a
just and democratic country in West Africa.

Editor Bah in a brief statement  thanked the US Government and all those who
facilitated his presence here in the United States. "This is a victory for
the Freedom Newspaper. We are committed to continue to do our journalistic
job here at Freedom." said Bah who is gradually settling down. Bah praised
the US Government for standing by him during the period in question.

Reacting to the story, Freedom Newspaper Publisher and Managing Editor Pa
Nderry M'Bai said "We are exceedingly happy tonight. Our Banjul Bureau Chief
Omar Bah, has finally reunited with the Freedom Newspaper family. From the
Reporters,  down to the Editors are all very  happy tonight. This is a
victory for the Freedom Newspaper. Since, we have been denied the right to
practice our required journalistic work in the Gambia, countries like the
US  would  welcome us with  an open arm. America has been an active promoter
of press freedom and democracy. It cannot turn its back to victims of
persecution and official repression from despotic regimes like the one we
have in Banjul today. Bah,  like any other Freedom Newspaper subscriber have
a well founded fear for present and future persecution from these wild
animals hell bent on muzzling the rights and liberties of Gambians."

Having said that continued Editor M'Bai "We want to thank the US Government
for taking Omar Bah's case seriously. From the onset, we have always
insisted that Bah was a "potential target" for assassination by the Jammeh
Government. The US being a leading advocator for Press Freedom has done what
it's expected of it by ensuring that Bah is protected from any form of harm
or persecution from  the murderous Jammeh Government. The US should  be
commended for according Bah sanctuary here. The Freedom Newspaper Editorial
team are very delighted. It's  a positive move."

Publisher M'Bai said the Freedom Newspaper would always stand by its
staffers during the time of  joy and difficulty. "We constantly get in touch
with our reporters on the ground, just to ensure that they are safe and
well. This paper is committed to our correspondent's  personal safety and
security. We know what it takes to report in an hostile media environment
like the Gambia. Landing Badjie replaces Editor Bah who is now heading our
news room in the US. Bah's presence here would help to minimize the
Editorial work load." Mr.M'Bai observed.

Editor M'Bai further observed that unless corrupt African leaders like
Jammeh allows the private media to do their work freely without any form of
censorship or repression,there cannot be  justice and equal rights on the
continent. "The media is very vital in any true democracy. Corrupt and
dictatorial leaders who have something to hide resorts to  trying to control
and direct the editorial content of the private press. The Gambian private
press is faced by such a situation today. The government wants to know what
these papers  publish the next day. They planted undercover agents in almost
all the media houses to monitor stories lined up for publication. With the
advent of the internet, censored stories locally are published by the
Freedom Newspaper. We don't mind to be damned, but we are morally oblidged
to report the truth and nothing but the truth. Free press is a corner stone
in any true democracy. Jammeh needs to accept such a reality. He needs to
change his bad concept towards the private press. We love the Gambia more
than him. We devote our time and resources just to ensure that the usual
"power corrupt, absolute power corrupt"  don't exist in the Gambia. As a
leading online paper, our mission is to make our government accountable to
its people, donors and supporters. If Jammeh don't want to be accountable,
let him leave the Presidency. Period!! It's the job of the private press to
hold him accountable."said Editor M'Bai.

Mr.M'Bai called on the Freedom Newspaper staffers to keep up the good work."
There  is life at the end of the tunnel. Any personal sacrifice accorded to
this paper would payoff- be it in the short term or  the long term. This
paper is a wrong place for people with vicious intent. Our credibility is
intact and unshakable. We believe in responsible journalism and not
otherwise.  We valued the tirelessness services rendered to this paper by
Editor Bah, Chief Correspondent Landing Badjie,  Bolong Jammeh, Wise Man,
Muhammed Jawara, Justice Sam and others. We say bravo. Keep your heads high.
The Gambian people and the civilized world appreciate the fine work we  are
doing here at Freedom. We look forward the day when we shall operate the
Freedom Newspaper in Banjul. The day when Jammeh would be put in handcuff
and charged with crime against humanity. Our media project for the Gambia is
here to stay." Mr.M'Bai posited.

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 (Archive on Tuesday, July 10, 2007)
Posted by PNMBAI  Contributed by PNMBAI
Return <http://www.freedomnewspaper.com/Homepage/tabid/36/Default.aspx>

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい