GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 01:07:27 +0200
On 28 Jun 2002 at 0:13, Dr. Alhaji S. Jeng wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I am a Gambian, a patriotic one at that. If I had the means The Gambia would be
> the most well-off country in the world, catering well for its citizens. BUT if
> oil for the Gambia turns out to be similar to what oil is for Nigeria, then I
> pray to God Almighty that economically large quantities are not found at all.
> Our small Gambia would then be much better off without.
>
> Dr. Jeng

Alhaji,
If this is true then I think it should be a big boost for the whole Gambian
National economy. I share the same opinion with you. It is very important that
Gambians debate this thoroughly especially our politicians and put very sound
policies in place in the interest of the whole nation and not just the interest
of a few.
Nigeria is a good example of how things could go wrong even though they are an
oil producing nation. We could learn a lot from countries like Norway that was
a poor country only a few years ago and now one of the richest countries in the
whole world. It is very important that there are guarantees that Gambians are
trained in various fields of Engineering, oil management and the upgrading of
the Technical schools and Institutions by the interested oil companies so that
the most part of the future work force are Gambians and not outsiders.

Feet dragging by those in responsible positions should not take place just
because they wants to squeeze a bribe and delay whole processes if they can't
have  have for their pockets.

During the 1970s, Denmark used to offer up to 20 scholarships to The Gambia
government every year but people (potential students) were never informed,
probably because those who were sitting with the information did not have
children or nephews and nieces who were old enough to be sent at that time.
Since they did not send anyone, the Danes then just diverted all their
attention to Eastern Africa (Kenya and Tanzania).

It should also be the interest of The Gambia that there is peace in Cassamance
because I think companies would find it more attractive to invest only if there
is peace in our backyard.
The issue of releasing all political detainees is also a factor that has to be
taken care of because there can't be reconciliation and thereby security if
people are detained just because of political opinions or personal grudges.

Environmental impact assessment is also a very important factor as mentioned by
Abdou Sanneh.

These are my few bututs!

Good night and have a good weekend.

Momodou Camara

   http://home3.inet.tele.dk/mcamara
   http://www.gambia.dk

**"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's
 possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible"***