GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:50:06 -0500
     Greetings all, the subject line pretty much says it all!  I'm speechless, stunned, and this latest election only confirms my worst fears.  So what should "we", or more precisely, the opposition, do?  Do we just Let Jammeh have this election, and thereby give him a legitimacy that he's neither earned nor deserved?  And if "we" let Jammeh steal another election, what does this mean for the opposition?

     I think the opposition, and *all* of the opposition, needs to stand up and not accept this supposed win by Jammeh!  You don't have opposition supporters reportedly waiting out in the rain, waiting until 3 or 4 in the morning to see opposition politicians, or to have thousands of people following your convoy as it goes into the various towns and villages in The Gambia, only to have Jammeh win by a 70% margin two days later!

     This election was stolen from the Gambian people, I say!  And it's up to them to claim it back!  And as far as "voter apathy" goes, maybe it's convenient for some to blame voter apathy, as then it may absolve them of having to take any stand on the issue!  But if anyone of the opposition accepts this election, then they deserve whatever Jammeh decides to dish out to them!  We have gotten to the point where people need to stand up and say "no" with one, resounding voice!

     I will make the observation that "coward Darboe" as I've seen one call him, is the one not accepting the election, but what about NADD?  What is their official stance?  However, I will be heartbroken if *any* of the opposition relents and hands over the Gambian Presidency to Jammeh, because then they are dooming The Gambia to God knows what!

     What an awful way to start Ramadan!

Ginny

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい