GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 22:34:19 -0500
Folks,
It has been reported in the weekend papers that the government has decided to sack more than 200 "foreign" teachers in Gambian schools. The reason given is that they did not major in education.
There is no doubt in my mind that this decision is intended for the better, but has authorities stop to re-evaluate the impact of such action on the education system and if so, what plans do they have for our brothers and sisters who will feel the pinch in the classroom?
Many will agree with me that these so called "foreign teachers" have gone a long way in shaping our educational system. The truth is, many of our present leaders and experts, and majority of us have gone through the hands of these "foreign teachers" .
It is very true that most of these teachers have not been formally trained , but the argument here is that they are delivering. Are there enough indigenous teachers to take up their places and are they ready to stand up to the challenge with the same dedication and dexterity? Are they ready to go the extra mile?
Awaiting your humble observations.

Abdoulie A. Jallow