GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Y. Bala-gaye" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 11:48:52 -0400
Hamjatta, that was eloquently put. It is about time African leaders
accept the responsibility that comes from attaining indepedence. We seem
to want the West to spoon feed us success on one hand, while protesting
that we are not children and can lead ourselves on the other hand. What we
need are leaders who are willing to sacrifice everything (even personal
gain) in the name of the people. Leaders who are ready and willing
to take the necessary steps to re-build their countries in terms of
infrastructure and economy as well as the well-being of their people.
Africa has been plagued with leaders who either usurp power or
democratically attain power (mostly via sugar-coated words - only few
leaders have ever fulfilled their promises) with the single goal of
amassing personal wealth at the expense of their people. Then they try to
justify it by telling the people that they have built schools and other
such hog wash. There is no point in having a million schools if the
rights of the students are violated at every turn and the
teachers/principals who are supposed to be role models are not even
trustworthy to begin with.
        Africa has a lot of valuable assets in terms of minerals and such,
but unless we have governments in place that utilise these assets in the
appropriate manner, to eradicate poverty and improve the standard of
living in the countries that have been blessed with them, we might as well
say that we have zero assets. Our people assets can also be put to better
use  if our governments take the steps to reduce illiteracy, mortality
rates and such. However, with all the civil wars raging within the
continent, we might loose this asset by the time we can get sincere
governments in place. In short, Africa has a lot of potential - i
sincerely believe - however, we need sincere and unselfish leaders that
will allow us to realise this potential. Those of us abroad also need to
realise that if we just talk about Africa's potential and then stay
abroad, without making some sort of plans to return home in the future
(not to REAP the benefits of what has been sown but to HELP SOW), then  we
are not helping the situation any. NO..... i'm not saying that we should
all return en masse immediately ..... but we should all have some plans to
return home in the FUTURE to help rebuild our country. We all say that
The Gambia is our  BELOVED country. But IF it was REALLY our 'beloved'
country, then we should not be separated from it if we see opportunities
to return. Obviously, the present time is no time to return home, because
we can probably do more for our people here than there (in terms of
financing major activities,etc.), but there will come a time - hopefully
in the very near future - that opportunities arise such that we can return
home and help build our BELOVED COUNTRY. When that time comes, I
hope we can all answer that call. Because it makes no sense to talk about
'standing on our own feet' when the strenght that is needed to make this
possible is busy up holding another body - so to speak.

Yai-Fatou Gaye