GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Y Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2012 07:22:34 -0600

Pa, I was shocked to read the story though not surprised. It is unfortunate to hear that one of our citizens has been arrested for carrying your book meant for reading. Jokingly, Saihou Mballow recently put me in trouble during a recent trip to NY, because he gave me a copy of Pa Nderry's book before I even ordered one for myself since you (Pa) didn't send me a complimentary copy. (LOL).  Imaginarily, I could have been charged with the same crime if I was headed to the Gambia. What a shame! As I am flipping these pages with my turtoise speed, I can see the reason why the Banjul authorities arrested Mr. Ceesay. What will happen if you choose to donate some copies to the Libray?  Humor aside, they should let him go! In my view, it is not a crime to read and form an opinion. The boy is simply not the author. He is probably just a curious reader. This administration gives us enough to talk about every day. We don't even have to search for far.  I know there is a Ceesay kunda in Sintet, but the name doesn't sound familiar to me. Just to say that I do not know him, but Sintet is a mighty village, and some of our brothers/sisters were born elsewhere such that it is hard to keep a track, added to the fact that some of us are the lost kids of Mandela....who do not know all the relatives and neigbors.  Thanks for sharing Pa. Again, clear message to Jammeh.....leave the innocent boy alone!! Best regards & seasonal greetings,Yero