GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 19:53:08 +0200
ANC Commemorates Execution Of Mahlangu

April 6, 2000

CAPE TOWN, South Africa (PANA) - The African National Congress on Thursday marked the 21st anniversary of the execution of Solomon Mahlangu by the apartheid regime.

On 2 March 1978, Mahlangu was sentenced to death for his role in trying to topple the apartheid system. He pleaded not guilty to the crimes he was charged with.

Since his arrest in June 1977, he was severely tortured and brutally assaulted in prison. He was not allowed to be seen by any member of the community including his lawyers.

He did not even know that he was being legally represented and the attorneys first heard of his court appearance after reading a report about it in the press.

On 6 April 1979, the 23-year-old Mkhonto We Sizwe cadre faced the gallows, raised his hand in the ANC salute, and died a hero for millions of South Africans.

His final words were: "My blood will nourish the tree that will bear the fruits of freedom. Tell my people that I love them. They must continue to fight."

"During this year of the dawn of the African century, as declared by President Thabo Mbeki, we once more lower our flags and salute our fallen comrade, our hero.

"We extend to his mother, Ma Mahlangu, and his family revolutionary sympathies and best wishes.

"In furtherance of the call to make the 21st century the African Century, we call upon all young people to re-commit themselves to the ideals that Mahlangu lived and died for, that of peace, justice and a better life for all," said ANC spokesman Smuts Ngonyema.

Copyright © 2000 Panafrican News Agency. All Rights Reserved.