GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Burama Jammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2014 00:47:56 -0400
Demba

It's still the same argument. I agree that working with a supposed willing
government will.

The next question - how do we get such supposed willing government? I guess
the answer is Yahya go and anyone else at least for now would be consider a
willing. I don't think in practice that will be the case but I will go
along for now.

Then the question - How would Yahya go?

If I remember correctly you suggested election reform before election. I
couldn't agree more. But why would Yahya agree to reforms that may likely
not favor him in the long run. He will not be a willing partner.

 He must be compel to go along. That is to say we have some leverage he
fear otherwise he will not go along.

Then I say if we achieve such lever why stop at election reform. Why not
demand big such as Comstitutional Overhaul, Separation of Power,
Decentralization, Defense of Constitution and Laws of the Land, etc.  of
which election laws are a small but important subsection.

I guess we can make all kind of wishes but we have to find a practical
beginning of addressing this conundrum. Such answer should also ensure we
are doers because there exist no alien Gambian elsewhere to do it for is.
Equally each of us should after 20 years be able to come up with what
one think could work rather than suggest group X or Y is doing A-Z. Groups
doing A-Z is ok but individuals in such group has to suggest within the
group and it gets adopted. Group itself can't do nothing.

Finally I will ask the same questions - What is the most logical to begin
our struggle with? How do we do that - for instance if you think removal of
Yahua should be the first thing and/or election reform should the first?

Please don't quote G-6 declaration. A  good idea but no practical follow-up
was made and no mechanism exist to do such follow up. Let's assume we want
to demand all that is in G-6 declaration and/or Obasanjo Accord how do we
compel  Yahya abide?

These are questions for everyone and not just Demba. More importantly I
don't understand why we are not challenging self and others to provide
suggests of answers to these problem rather than accepting rhetorical
statements as solutions.

Regards

Burama