GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:32:21 EDT
       ||           ||  o   ||
                 _o_,_\ ,;:   .'_o_\ ,;:  (_|_;:  _o_,_,_,_;
                (  ..  /     (_)    /            (        .
                           Bismillah irRahman irRaheem
            In the Name of Allaah, The Most Gracious, The Most Kind

 Hijri date: Sunday 24 Jumaada al-awal 1420 A.H.

 Continued..

 Allah, ta'ala, has said in Suratul 'An'aam: 1, "... yet those who
 disbelieve hold others as equal with their Lord."  and "... verily, joining
 others in worship with Allah is a great sin", and because of
 that, Allah does notforgive it unless the person makes "tauba" -
 repentance.

 In the hadith, it said "al ya's min rauhillah", that is, despairing of
 being with Allah / being cut off from all hope or expectation from Allah of
 what he fears and hopes for.  This is having a poor opinion of Allah
 (denying His qualities of Mercy, Justice and Forgiveness) and igorance of
 Him, the wode scope of His Mercy, His Presence and His Forgiveness.

 The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, also said in the hadith, listing
 some of the major sins, ". . . wal 'aman min makrillah", referring again to
 the aspect of "al istid-raaj", the gradual seizing
 of a person, or persons, or nation and his/their negation of what they have
 been given of faith and we  seek refuge in Allah from that, and, in
 reality, it is ignorance of Allah, His attributes, especially His Might,
 and self-trust and conceit.

 It is pointed out that this hadith only names 3 major sins; there are many
 others; however these 3 are the most serious of them mentioned in
 Qur'an and Sunnah and recorded by the Sahaabah, Taabi'een and Tabi'
 Taabi'een who recorded what he said -- every sin results in Allah's pun-
 ishment  with fire or   a curse or  anger or punishment.  Sheikh Ibn
 Taymiyyah added, "and it  nullifies emaan."   The author reminds us that
 the Messenger of Allah often said that who ever does this act or that act
 is not of us.   Ibn Abbas said, in reference to the major sins that there
 are more than 700 and that there is no "kabeera" with forgiveness and no
 minor sin with insistence or willfulness.

 The author calls attention to "ar-rajaa' " hope and "al khauf" fear:  If a
 person fears Allah, then he should not despair and give up all hope;
 rather, he should hope for Allah's Mercy.  The Salaf (the pious
 predecessors) used like to strengthen their fear of Allah, especially
 in times of sickness, one should be hopeful -- and this was the way of Abu
 Aulaimaan Ad-Daarani and others.  He said that fear should be very dear to
 the heart.  If hope overcomes the fear, the heart is spoiled.  Allah'
 ta'ala, said in verse 12 of Suratul Mulk, "For those who fear their Lord
 (and don't see him), there is forgiveness and many blessings" and Allah
 said in Suratun Nur: 37 "They fear a Day when hearts and
 eyes will be overturned [14:37  and in Suratul Mu'minoon: 60
 and Suratul Zumar: 9 and it the ayah, it is noted that warning or fear
 precedes ar'rajaa' - hope.

 * [Omm Rafiq's note:  I feel it necessary to point out that in the
 explanation of the  word "is-tid-raaj", we see that the dictionary meaning
 of it is: to make gradually, to advance/rise gradually, to promote
 something by degrees, to lead someone gradually, bring someone around
 to..., to lure into destruction" [Hans-Wehr's A Dictionary of Modern
 Written Arabic] However, we cannot say that "Allah lured them to their
 destruction.  No, what is meant here is that He gives them time  plenty of
 time to either take the straight path, the path of Allah, or to continue in
 their rejection, sins and refusal of guidance.  We know that Allah is just
 but sometimes we may tend to look at the Kufaar as "getting
 all the breaks", "living the life", "having it all", but we must remember,
 as it is explained to us here, that this is for a purpose. It's like giving
 someone enough rope to hang himself, in a sense.  Allah has given them
 every opportunity and more than enough time.  He gives them time to think
 of the blessings He has bestowed upon them and to realize that they have
 been doing is wrong.  On the Last Day, no one will have been oppressed in
 receiving the punishment or reward for his
 actions  during his life.  You know how when a child gets caught at
 something, he will offer all kinds of excuses for what happened, how there
 wasn't enough time, how he didn't know, he didn't realize -- then he will
 even try to say that what is happening to him is unfair.  On that Day, the
 Kufaar, and everyone will know, that there will be no
 excuses made because there will not be any to be made.  He cannot say , I
 didn't know or I didn't realize or THERE WASN'T ENOUGH TIME!]

 Omm Rafiq
 Makkah

The above was based upon this book and the course notes I have from
 "Ayaatul Aqeedah", Umm Al Qura University, Makkah, Saudi Arabia.
 *^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
 Allahumma, akthar maali, wa waladi, wa baarik li fima
 'ataitani,  w'atil hayaati ala taa'atik wahsin 'amali waghfirli

 O Allah, increase my wealth and offspring and bless me (give me
 baraka)in what You give me And make the rest of my life in Your
 obedience,  make my deeds the best deeds,  and forgive me.
Allahumma,I seek refuge in You from knowledge that does not benefit,
              from a heart that is not subdued,
                     from a supplication that is not answered,
                                and from a soul that is not satisfied.