GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 06:27:04 EDT
Mr Ceesay,
                  Having read your responses to both me and others who have
seconded my views on the piece I wrote, I find it remarkable that you are not
challenging the assertions we make as being factually inaccurate. Frankly
that would be pretty hard to do since fundamental candor that is inherent to
all of us even avid supporters of the regime like yourself would compell one
to see evil for what it is. I am sure sir you do not approve of torture,
intimidation, abductions and murder as legitimate political vehicles under
any circumstances. You too I assume would generally want to live in a society
that fosters freedom and adequately guarantees your rights. Yet you call us
bogus democrats for saying as loudly as we can that President Jammeh is a
manifest tyrant because of the way he treats a vulnerable population. You
suggest we are not credible in our criticism or that we ought not to at all.
But why Mr Ceesay? I, like all of those who oppose President Jammeh believe
Gambia is much better off under a leadership that it's long suffering people
deserve and strive to support the courageous people who against tremendous
odds are trying to effect change. Apparently you are ready to burn us on the
steak and call us names when we advocate that they be afforded human decency
and allowed to compete fair and square, things they are entitled to and not
subject to the accent of the President. You call the opponents discredited
politicians. I'd like you to name one of them and provide list members facts
to back up your assertions and if you can establish that he or she has ever
done anything wrong then that would be a good start for a debate.
In the meantime I'd like to engage you on why you think this government that
is attempting to instutionalise creul and sterile politics and destroying the
country is a sacred cow that is beyond criticism. I think it deserves a not
too soon trek to the dustbin of history where it belongs

Karamba