GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
abdul aziz drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
abdul aziz drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:52:08 +0100

      News Blackout?

     At their joint press conference, the government spokesman promised that he and the Cabinet committee will be giving updates on the moves contemplated or carried out by government in the wake of the killing of students and destruction of properties by hooligans. Since then we've only heard President Jammeh's address to the nation.

      The situation is so grave that we were expecting a task force comprising government officials and independent persons to deal with the unfinished business. The Bar Association and other groups have not so far responded to government's overtures to be parties for the identification of people to serve in the proposed enquiries.

      If they have already done so, this must be publicised in line with the promise cited above.

      Our suggestion, for the government to disseminate through its Official Gazette the names of deceased, wounded and detained persons, still awaits action.

      The issue of observance of human rights with regards to the detentions has also been ignored, at least as we go to press.

      The hundreds of messages in English, French, German etc. flooding our office these past few days are a testimony that the world is watching all moves, hence the need to swiftly address the situation. For want of space, we cannot publish all of them.

      When will Sargo Jallow do the promised updates so as to address the rumours we hear about the detainees, about lists of parents of students etc.?

      With reagrds to the hit-list, do we understand the sillence to mean that it's TOUCHE?

      Anyway, our life has never been and is no longer important to us from the day the students were gunned down. We cannot be important, but the Survival of the Gambian Nation is and all well-meaning Gambians should work towards achieving that goal without fear.

      To the government, we say - be guided by the principles of good governance and play your cards in the most transparent manner.

      Whe one carries out an action, there must be a reaction whether anticipated, grasped or not. The hard thing for some people is to interpret properly not only the writings on the wall, but their real meaning. We have been taken to the brink of a conflagration.

       To forestall any such possibility, it behoves the government to openly deal with the issue without fear, favour or ill-will.

      That is the price that must be paid to cleanse the blood stains on the uniforms, and efface the gruesome pictures in the nightmare-riddled consciences.

      A.Drammeh