GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:01:28 +0000

I'm glad that Ousainou gave his version of events leading to and ending the NADD run and I hope we can move on to dealing with the Elephant consuming the living room - Yaya.  A word of caution to partisans supporting this and that version / rendition of events.  Folks, each of the party leaders can write volumes on what transpired and I hope we do not get side tracked with that futile effort that does not address Yaya and what is happening to Gambians and the need to get rid of Yaya NOW.  Thus, I would advise anyone aspiring to lead Gambians to desist from a ping pong game that serves no purpose to help the plight of Gambians.  The Gambian issue is what Yaya is doing to them.  Party leaders should focus on measuring what they have done to address the excesses of Yaya, since 2006, not to mention since 1994.  We are all witness to the impunity of Yaya and we are also witness to the lack of bone by the opposition.  Thus, as a leader, folks should focus on being a front leader in the opposition by convincing Gambians to rally behind them by action.  Just getting the opposition vote will not cut it.  One needs to challenge the APRC and to show Gambians that they are willing and capable of leading Gambians against anything Yaya can throw at them.  There are many who seemingly support the APRC because they do not think the opposition is serious or has shown them a fighting spirit.  These folks will join a strong opposition.  That is what Gambians expect from the opposition and that is not going to be accomplished by finger pointing on milk that was long poured and dried up.  One thing is certain, Gambians are not going to support mediocrity.  Leaders are also better served to know that in the end, you can only lead if Gambians support you by their vote and financially.  Each has an opportunity to win the hearts and minds of Gambians and they should focus on that.  Build it and they will come.  The bottom-line is, Gambians are closely watching the opposition and what they do, individually and collectively.  By my gauging, diasporans have little appetite for any politics of accommodation or avoidance of Yaya.  Now, I can hear some to quip, the opposition leaders are the ones risking their lives and we are not on the ground risking our lives.  Well, that is what it takes to lead and if your guy is not willing to risk that we need a person that is willing.  Actions are what any opposition leader is going to be graded by the voters and those that wish to support them financially.

No one or two parties can defeat this tyranny, and it would be fool hardy for any to think that.  However, if one is convinced that they can defeat Yaya with just a few good men and women, I wish them luck, for they will need lots of it and then some.  The opposition must gang up on Yaya and they cannot do it being fragmented and Gambians by my reading will not waste their time with a fragmentated opposition.

Joe