GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
kibily Jadama <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 12:04:43 +0200
Yus,
Even though I donīt agree with you totally, I still respect your
opinion. How could you said/ think  that the teacher is not to be
blame of what happened to Ebrima Barry ? Are you trying to say
that the fire service would have arrested Ebrima regardless of the
teacherīs reporting ? Canīt you simple ask yourself about how did
the fire service get in the picture ? Donīt you think that if the
teacher hadnīt report Ebrima to the fire service, the fire service
wouldnīt have arrested Ebrima and if the fire service hadnīt arrested
him, then there wouldnīt be no torturing or killing. If Ebrima was
giving the teacher no end of trouble, then why didnīt the teacher
follow the school procedure? Which is reporting the case to the
principle. Even if the matter had been reported to the principle and
nothing was done about it, then the teacher should have taken the
matter to the Department of education. Forsterīs school is an
institution under the Department of education like all the other
schools. I donīt think the problem between the teacher & Ebima
was a civil case but a disciplinary one. But even if it was a civil
case, the teacher was barging at a wrong tree. I īm not underrating
the fire service but if Iīm not wrong , their duty is to put off the fire
and assist the victims.We have the police to step in when the
matter is getting out of hand or someone is violating the law.
Youīre talking about calling the law to control the unruly
students.Since when do teachers start calling the law to control
the students ? What about the good old method which was used
when you & I plus many others were going to school, which is to
suspend or expel a student for disobeying ? Rather suspension or
expulsion than torturing and killing a student. What bothers me a
lot is that what has the fire service to do with how to discipline a
student. I remember reading one of the newspapers that Ebrimaīs
father went to the fire service and asked for his sonīs whereabout
and the only answer he got from one of the senior officer was that
your son is rude. We will discipline him and shave his hair. CAN
YOU BELIEVE THAT ? Will shaving Ebrimaīs hair make him a
better student ?
I remember fully that there were parents who reported teachers to
the police for beating their kids. And some family members even
took the law in their own hands and attacked the accused teacher
physically.But that also is out of proportion because two wrongs
donīt make right.I remember fully too that there was an officer at
Serrekunda police station whose method of welcoming people at
the station was a slap.I think youīre right with the name Kujabi and
because of he slapped people, he got this nick-name " obey and
complain ".You are also right with GNA because of my personal
experiences. I have several times withnessed some members of
the GNA in a uniform behaved in a way which no " officer or soldier
with different " should behave like that.About the GNA is another
topic which we can discuss next time because I am not a pro army.
Youīre also right that the kind of expression of the autopsy report
that the doctor gave was and is still unclear to many people.Why
the doctor didnīt  use the language or expression people will
understand instead of making people to rush to their dictionaries?
Finally I thank you for your concern and your maturity way of
discussing issues at hand without name calling or fauld play.
Kibily.
**Peace and respect**