GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Yusupha C. Jow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 22:50:42 EDT
Gassama:

I forwarded the links to debunk the lies you were spreading that Africell &
Gamcell had nationwide GSM coverage.  It is a matter of record that you
stated in your last post that Africell has nationwide coverage. Just in case
you didn't know, these new GSM networks in Africa will be the backbone of
wireless network which will eventually give rural folks Internet access. Thus
the link showing a map of  GSM coverage areas is very relevant in this
respect..

The topic at hand is how we can provide Internet access to folks in rural
areas.  From the get go, you never answered this question nor provided even
remotely related documentation towards such an endeavor.  I tried to give you
hints earlier by talking about wireless communication, encompassing wireless
data transfer on the GSM networks we have, the use of satellite modems as
well as LANs for educational institutions, during this exchange just to get
you on the right track.  I even showed you a map of GSM coverage in The
Gambia.  But alas, you still completely missed the ball.  To make things
worse, you still are not able to produce plans which will show how we intent
to leverage our present infrastructure to make this remote Internet access a
reality.

Gassa, you truly suffer from ALES or Acute Low Expectation Syndrome.  You are
so busy defending the present regime, you have become unable to see beyond
the tip of your nose.  You tried to bamboozle us by forwarding that one
paragapraph excerpt from that NGO's website.  I called you on it but you then
sent us a proposal you wrote explaining the setting up of one trunk line from
Serekunda to Barra, which btw was done in 1992, and a few towers here and
there, when this while related, still did not answer the question as to what
plans the govt. has for the provision of Internet access to rural areas..
Your behavior reminds me of that of old nepotist and dinosaurs who fill our
bureaucracy, and are awesomely adept at coming up with technical terms and
statistics that don't mean zilch.  These creatures come about as a result of
ALES.  You are so used to doing nothing that you end up becoming experts at
covering this up..

Point is I give GAMTEL all the credit in the World and this debate was never
about this organization, but more about what plans the govt. has to provide
Internet access to rural areas.  You are still unable to provide any concrete
documentation to show how we plan on achieving the target of providing access
to rural areas. Just like there is no plan to improve other sectors such as
education.

I'll give you a hint.  Look towards higher capacity and higher speed wireless
networks.  Once you guys figure out how to use the infrastrure we have to
provide access, you have to figure out how to make this technology practical
for farmers, students, mothers, health clinics, govt. offices,  and all the
different demographic orientations out there.

-Yus