GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 01:04:48 +0100
Momodou,

I don't believe  that  Imam Fatty is doing what religion tells him to do. If he had there are lots of issues he would have addressed right from the state house. He would not have gone to the victims but the culprates.

The Imam sees this pills as immoral even if they were 100% safe. You are right that the pills have their own side effects and what should have been done is to get the people in the medical field to advice and made all information accessible to the people concern. You are right to say that sexual education would have being a very good method but if the use of the pills is seen as immoral and a cause to prostitution, I bet sexual education will be worse in the eyes of Imam Fatty. I can't even imagine how Imam Fatty would describe that.

You see the problem is not about the effects, is about what is seen as immoral and moral by Imam Fatty? How a woman should be or not. The control over women per sa. It is true that the pills even here in Britain there are problems with it but we do have our own too. If even enough research it might be even a better method but it has never being given a chance. Anything to do  with the control of women's body is redefined and given a Foreign Outlook.

So the issue is not what one got to do but the intolerance in Imam Fatty and
his use of the political platform in a religious context. You cannot talk about preaching religion by choosing what favours you and certain people.  I bet Imam has a lot of  real and meaningful preaching to do at home taking into consideration the injustice caused by the President who prays behind him. He should remember every person will be judged by her/his deeds.

THe Struggle Continues!!!!
Ndey Jobarteh