CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

List Information: CHOMSKY is an interactive discussion list that welcomes young people, students, admirers, organizers, scholars and those interested in the life, philosophy and collective works of Noam Chomsky's. The purpose of this list is to identify, examine and separate the myths about Noam Chomsky from his actual philosophical beliefs and ideas and to develop a clearer understanding of his body of works. In addition, this list will serve as a resource to its members seeking to continuously identify the thousands of resources, materials, organizations and Internet sites revolving around the contributions, ideas and philosophy of Chomsky. The list is to serve both as a forum for free and scholarly discussions and as a clearinghouse for the distribution of information on academic and political conferences, publication opportunities, fellowship information, academic grants, and job openings of interest to both Chomsky scholars and political intellectuals. Subscribers are encouraged to pose questions, comments, and/or announcements of interest to individuals working on topics related to Chomsky's writings and lectures. Appropriate postings might pertain to work currently in progress, the development of course materials, bibliographical material of interest to both Chomsky intellectuals and scholars, useful Internet resources. For more information, send an e-mail message to: CHOMSKY-Request@listserv.icors.org
Show Table of Contents

frank scott
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:06:20 -0800
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
January, 2006

Capital s Punishment

by Frank Scott

We begin the year with war , its death and financial tolls soaring, and
whispers of Democratic disagreement rising to a crescendo of murmurs.
When one called for immediate troop withdrawal , party leaders explained
why we must continue the bloodbath , but in a more liberal way. And
that s the good news.

[More ...]
Show Replies 3 Replies
frank scott
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:25:11 -0700
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
December, 2005

Legal Crimes

by Frank Scott

"It is better to suffer a great wrong than to have recourse
to the much greater wrong of the law."
--Charles Dickens

We are taught to be proud that we are a nation of laws, and that no one
is above the law, no matter how much wealth or power that person may
possess. While there are occasional examples of this equality , exalted
by those who make the laws and benefit most from them, the

[More ...]
Show Replies 9 Replies
frank scott
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:58:04 -0700
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
October, 2005

The Terrorism of Race and Poverty

by Frank Scott

The world s most over developed military power is its most under
developed nation in matters of real human security. Almost maniacally
prepared for terrorist attack by material forces , it was unprepared for
the terrorist attack by an immaterial Intelligent Designer . But along
with the horrors of a natural disaster on America s Gulf Coast, we
witnessed the unnatural disaster of our nation s disregard for some of
its people.

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:22:36 -0700
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
August, 2005

Operation Wake Up

by Frank Scott

Our murderous foreign policy led to the tragedy of 9/11, and its
ramifications continue. The taking of innocent life in Iraq has caused
the taking of innocent life in Spain and England. But still, the
impenetrable blobs that lodge between the ears of our leaders send
messages to their lips to repeat incantations about war on terror,
mindless that they are responsible for terror s origin, perpetuation and
growth.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
frank scott
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:57:55 -0800
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
December,2004

One Nation, Indivisible

by Frank Scott

The holiday shopping frenzy will have trouble exceeding last months
exercise in cosmetic democracy. Our national election produced nearly
four billion dollars for the economy, and that was its high point. Our
worst president beat his worst opponent , and while a few still claim
votes were stolen, a majority safely assumes that as usual, it is
unrepresented.

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:07:31 -0700
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
September, 2004

Democracy? Yeah, right

by Frank Scott

The attacks on civil liberties that began after 911 have served to mask
the longer range assault on their practice in America. An electoral
process dominated by minority wealth is the antithesis of democracy, but
it has been the reality of America’s dictatorship of the rich much
longer than the present court appointed regime has existed. Perhaps no
abuse of that heralded practice in modern times has been more blatant
than the current anti-democratic aggression

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:31:58 -0700
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
August, 2004

The Wall: There, and Here

by Frank Scott

The tragedy of Palestine would be impossible without history’s
greatest job of mind management . Lincoln was wrong; you can fool most
of the people, most of the time. The physical apartheid wall in Israel
is possible only because of a mental apartheid wall in American
consciousness.

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:02:49 -0700
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
july, 2004

Immorality Plays

by Frank Scott

What could be worse than the recent orgy of worship for a dreadful,
dead ex-president ? Is it the orgy of market hype for the memoirs of a
dreadful, living ex-president?How about the inability of supposed
political opposition to deal with the most dreadful president of all,
who has transformed the executive chamber into an Office of Homeland
Deceit and Stupidity?

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Tue, 25 May 2004 00:30:45 -0700
Reparations for Slavery

by Frank Scott

Fifty years after the historic Brown v Board decision, it’s about time
we really confront the crippling issue of slavery’s impact on America.
Race relations have changed and progress has resulted from the great
civil rights movement empowered, in part, by that supreme court
decision. But it is foolish to believe that we’ve become a color-blind,
equal opportunity society now, as some of the sanctimonious, if not
overtly racist political camp would claim.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
frank scott
Mon, 24 May 2004 12:38:02 -0700
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
june,2004

The problem is war , not warriors
by frank scott

Photos showing an affirmative action group of Americans treating their
Iraqi captives as inhuman sex toys have shocked some, leading to angry
charges and countercharges. This wartime prison porn has been deemed
intolerable by our leaders, and many well intentioned followers, while
the serial killings of “normal” warfare remain unquestioned by both
groups. Low level scapegoats will be punished, but the high level
murderers most responsible are likely to be untouched by

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
frank scott
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:27:36 -0700
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
may, 2004

Dumb, Dumber, Dumbest

by frank scott

"The greatest rule of safety is justice, and stopping injustice and
aggression. Oppression kills the oppressors... The situation in
occupied Palestine is an example. What happened on 11 September (NY) and
11 March (Madrid ) is your commodity returned to you."

[More ...]
No Replies
Lawrence Libby
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 04:59:44 -0500
Richard Clarke, Karen Kwiatowski and Paul O'Neill constitute the smoking
gun. There is no longer any question that the Bush administration made
up it's reason for attacking Iraq out of whole cloth. The division in
the American people is now between those who believe attacking a
sovereign country that poses no threat and causing massive innocent
death is a crime; and those who say, "So what, the filthy Arabs had it
coming because they don't like us, and besides, they have oil."

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:06:34 -0800
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
april,2004

The Marriage Business

by frank scott

Just as gays and lesbians develop a middle class and conservative
values which not only accept, but desire marriage and family, a
reactionary movement would deny them. In trying to stop unavoidable
change , fundamentalism will ultimately fail. Though the aging process
makes it seem desirable - and the cosmetic industry profits greatly from
that desire - time cannot be stopped. Nor can the changes it brings that
are both personal, and social.

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:15:52 -0800
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
march, 2004

Vote Kucinich: Impeach Bush

by Frank Scott

“we were almost all wrong...”

David Kay, CIA Weapons Inspector

Almost? Well, they did spell “Iraq” correctly. The lunacy of this
administration is matched by the blundering of our unintelligence
services. Most of the world could have told both sectors of the empire’s
ruling cartel that they were wrong, or just plain liars.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
frank scott
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:59:16 -0800
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
February, 2004

Capital Punishment

by Frank Scott

The primitive American welfare state that followed the great depression
of the 1930s, and was extended by the great society of the 1960s, served
to thinly mask the worst aspects of uncontrolled capitalism. These had
nearly brought the nation to revolution during the most miserable
economic chaos, and for more than generation, Band-Aids applied to the
worst wounds stopped some of the system’s bleeding. But that mutated
welfare state has since been under steady assault ,

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
frank scott
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:42:02 -0800
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
January, 2004

2004: Resolve to Evolve

by Frank Scott

We have evolved to a much higher life form than our hunter-gatherer
ancestors . They hunted for meat and gathered vegetation; we hunt for
money and gather merchandise . Progress.

But a new year arrives, and we may be poised for a more highly evolved
focus. Like, maybe, hunting for democracy, and not just money, and
gathering as citizens, and not just consumers. Are we ready? Not if our
mind managers have their way.

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:52:17 -0800
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
December, 2003

Shopping for Democracy?

by Frank Scott

Commissars of capital hope that the annual celebration of consumption
will soon reach its peak. Our economy is supposedly rebounding, though
the jobs creation rate of the last quarter would have to be
maintained for at least five years to simply get back the more than
two million jobs our economy has lost. But ministers of the mall
preach that the holy shopping spree is needed to make everyone
prosperous again.

[More ...]
No Replies
Michael Pugliese
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:17:06 -0800
From: Rudy Rummel <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 07:56:13 -1000
To: H-NET List on the History and Theory of Genocide
Subject: Re: Three Cheers
Show Replies 3 Replies
John Woodford
Thu, 1 May 2003 13:11:14 -0400
. Here at U of Michigan, the Bush Junta has tried to prevent an expert in
LAtin American history from traveling to Cuba. First forcing her travel
agent to cancel the itinerary. But when she fought back, they caved
in--then pressed her to meet with agents after her return so they could get
info on the people she met. She says she won't. That is the way these
recent "dissidents" were organized, funded and set about their jobs in
Cuba. Right at a time the junta needs to invent other boogie men to attack
in the name of "freedom." Let's

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:33:16 -0400
The drivel I refer to is the defense (or something--the whole rant is
rather incoherent) by F Leon Wilson imputing some significance to a
racist forgery.

What the hell are you talking about?!
Show Replies 1 Reply
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:30:31 -0400
Are you suggesting that we take this shit seriously? Hey, why not
drag out Mein Kampf? At least that was a REAL statement of belief
& tactics (however insane), not a total forgery.
No Replies
Michael Pugliese
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:23:45 -0500
Chomsky:

Cuba Controversy
<http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=41&ItemID=3534>

by Michael Albert; April 28, 2003

A controversy has arisen on the left in the U.S. about recent events in
Cuba. The Cuban government has enacted draconian legal measures against
opponents. The U.S. government, having provoked the situation by decades
of machinations including recent acts, will very likely use the events to
justify further intervention against the island's people.

[More ...]
No Replies
Michael Pugliese
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:27:58 -0800
http://home.igc.org/~jlandy/cpd/antiwar/cuba_stmt.html

Campaign for Peace and Democracy Statement Protesting Repression in Cuba

Please join Michael Albert, Stanley Aronowitz, Eileen Boris, Robert
Brenner, Noam Chomsky, Joshua Cohen, Mike Davis, Haroldo Dilla, Manuela
Dobos, Ariel Dorfman, Barbara Ehrenreich, Samuel Farber, Janeane Garofalo,
Barbara Garson, Adam Hochschild, Doug Ireland, Naomi Klein, Jesse Lemisch,
Rabbi Michael Lerner, Nelson Lichtenstein, Grace Paley, Katha Pollitt,
Edward Said, Ellen Schrecker, Stephen Shalom, Adam Shatz, Immanuel
Wallerstein, James Weinstein, Naomi Weisstein, Cornel West, Reginald
Wilson, Howard Zinn and others in signing this statement against repression
in Cuba from the Campaign for Peace and Democracy (how to add your name,

[More ...]
No Replies
Prema
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:05:10 -1000

No Replies
Dean Thomas
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:29:08 -0400
www.altpr.org
Alternative Press Week in Review
Your Guide Beyond the Mainstream
Vol. 1, No. 10 - April 28, 2003

A weekly roundup of news, essays and other items of interest.

http://www.rachelcorrie.org/gaza.htm
To the people of Gaza from the family of Rachel Corrie

http://www.msnbc.com/news/wld/graphics/strategic_israel_dw.htm
The Secret Arsenal of the Jewish State

http://www.thememoryhole.org/war/stripped-iraqis.htm
US Forces Make Iraqis Strip and Walk Naked in Public

[More ...]
No Replies
F. Leon Wilson
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 21:17:25 -0400
CHOMSKY Forum Members:

What is the history of The Protocols of Zion?

I have a copy of The Protocols of Zion and in view of recent wars/events and
disclosure regarding Israel, Jews and Anti-Jews; it has generated many
questions regarding Judaism and “The Protocols of Zion.”

What is the history of The Protocols of Zion and does any of our current
events give credence to that work?

[More ...]
Show Replies 14 Replies
F. Leon Wilson
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:59:02 -0500
CHOMSKY Forum Members:

This e-mail is a reminder of the various Listserv commands available to
you.

Please set your CHOMSKY subscription to NOMAIL if you are going to be away
for a few days and don't want to return to 500 pieces of mail.

If you have an "Auto Replies" feature in your e-mail program.

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:23:16 -0800
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
April, 2003

Lies and other Market Forces

by Frank scott

"The size of the lie is a factor in causing it to be believed, for the
masses are in their hearts more easily deceived than consciously and
intentionally bad. The primitive simplicity of their minds renders them
more easy prey to a big lie than a small one, for they often tell little
lies but would be ashamed to tell a big one."

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Thomas
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:24:07 -0500
Alternative Press Week in Review
Your Guide Beyond the Mainstream
www.altpr.org
A weekly roundup of news, essays and other items of interest.
March 9, 2003

Carnival of Chaos
http://carnival_of_chaos.tripod.com/

Nice collection of satirical posters
http://winstars.free.fr/english/bush.html

Code Pink: The Day in Pictures
http://www.infoshop.org/inews/stories.php?story=03/03/09/7188754

This Modern World: Loyal American's Guide to War Preparedness
http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=14583&CFID=5637159&CFTOKE
N=4196682

Website of the Week
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

INCOMING! - A short list of some of the more interesting items received at
the Alternative Press Review office this week.

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Thomas
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:00:50 -0500
Alternative Press Week in Review
www.altpr.org
A weekly roundup of news, essays and other items of interest.
February 24 - March 2, 2003

http://www.time.com/time/europe/gdml/peace2003.html
Poll: US Biggest Threat to Peace
TIME asks which country really poses the greatest danger to world peace in
2003. The results as of 3/1/03:
North Korea 5.6%
Iraq 6.7%
United States 87.7%
Total votes cast: 626,296

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:07:46 -0800
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
march, 2003

Can The Worst Bring Out The Best?

by Frank Scott

“ He is the worst president in all of American history.” Helen Thomas

Removing the historic burden of incompetence from the shoulders of
Reagan, Clinton and others, the outspoken woman says what most
spineless men of the press cannot bring themselves to utter. She
represents the best in American media, and contrasts with the worst,
which repeat lies, avoid truth and act as lap dogs for leadership .

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:51:38 -0500
go to: http://wnyc.org/shows/lopate/episodes/02032003 & look for the
3rd segment, labelled "Gore Vidal" (& then click on the "listen" button,
obviously!)

The blurb describing this interview says: "National Book Award winner
Gore Vidal examines President Bush’s foreign policy and the history of
America’s imperial ambitions, from WWII to the present, Dreaming War:
Blood For Oil and the Cheney-Bush Junta."
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:23:41 -0500
http://www.observer.co.uk/comment/story/0,6903,882459,00.html

I'm losing patience with my neighbours, Mr Bush
Terry Jones
Sunday January 26, 2003
The Observer

I'm really excited by George Bush's latest reason for bombing Iraq:
he's running out of patience. And so am I!
For some time now I've been really pissed off with Mr Johnson, who
lives a couple of doors down the street. Well, him and Mr Patel, who
runs the health food shop. They both give me queer looks, and I'm sure
Mr Johnson is planning something nasty for me, but so far I haven't
been able to discover what. I've been round to

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:47:09 -0500
http://inthesetimes.com/comments.php?id=38_0_4_0

Kurt Vonnegut vs. the !&#*!@

By Joel Bleifuss

In November, Kurt Vonnegut turned 80. He published his first novel,
Player Piano, in 1952 at the age of 29. Since then he has written 13
others, including Slaughterhouse Five, which stands as one of the pre-
eminent anti-war novels of the 20th century.
As war against Iraq looms, I asked Vonnegut, a reader and supporter of
this magazine, to weigh in. Vonnegut is an American socialist in the
tradition of Eugene Victor Debs, a fellow Hoosier whom he likes to
quote: “As long as there is a lower class, I

[More ...]
Show Replies 3 Replies
frank scott
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:05:27 -0800
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
February, 2003

Capitalist Affirmative Action
by Frank Scott

The injustice of American racism is wedded to the injustice of
capitalism, under which profit rules mean that a minority wins, at
the expense of a majority’s loss. Among the majority of losers, due to
our nation’s early history of wealth creation based on slave , and not
just wage labor , are a high percentage of blacks.

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:50:16 -0800
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
february, 2003

Dinosaur Empire

by frank scott

The intellectually challenged shut-ins who run the empire and report its
news would make a fascist blush. The white house gang tells the world
that it will do whatever it wants, whenever it wants, spitting in the
face of international sovereignty . Washington houses the most
dangerous collection of warhead lunatics in the world, but Iraq must
submit to a degrading national strip search, for weapons of mass
destruction.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 15:34:28 -0300
If this is acceptable behavior, why don't these groups just send a mass
mailing of the original letter to all the newspapers they can? Or why
don't those sending in the letter over their own names mention in a PS
that this is not an original letter, but merely a prefabricated one
passed along word-for-word?

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:09:39 -0500
Hey folks, here's a fun experiment you can try! Just put the following
line into Google's search window ("google it" as the kids say nowadays):

"genuine leadership" "Contrary to the class warfare rhetoric"

Now see all the virtually identical letters to the editor, in papers
across the country, supposedly from different people, hailing Bush's
economic plan for its benefits to the middle class. What an amazing
coincidence that they all independently wrote the same letter!

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:49:13 -0500
[ This is an excerpt from the press briefing at the White House on
Monday June 6th, from the transcript at the official White House webpage
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/01/20030106-1.html ]

12:35 P.M. EST

MR. FLEISCHER: Good afternoon and happy New Year to everybody. The
President began his day with an intelligence briefing, followed by an
FBI briefing. Then he had a series of policy briefings. And this
afternoon, the President will look forward to a Cabinet meeting where
the President will discuss with members of his Cabinet his agenda for
the year. The President is going to focus on economic growth, making

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 14:53:50 -0800
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/comment/0,10551,655781,00.html

Sharon must go

Israel's leader is now an obstacle to peace

Leader
Saturday February 23, 2002
The Guardian

One important element was missing from Ariel Sharon's speech to the Israeli nation this week: an offer to resign. Like his old enemy, Yasser Arafat, the Likud prime minister is now overwhelmingly part of the problem, not part of the solution.

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 14:47:49 -0800
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
January, 2003

Fear Year

by Frank Scott

We begin the new year as we ended the old ; preparing for an assault on
innocent iraqis, calling it war, as though involving equal military
powers. The major context, and not a subtext of this manufactured crisis
is that light skinned dominators make murderous and impossible demands
on darker skinned subjects. Western history marches on.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:38:11 -0800
Iran nets another revolt

The Iranian government may be draconian, but the internet remains uncensored, writes Ben Hammersley

Thursday February 21, 2002
The Guardian

Meeting girls is easy this way," said Amir, as he continued typing, "You can be relaxed no worries."

Amir, manager of my guesthouse, and local scoundrel, is one of the 1.3m internet users in Iran. This figure has risen from just 2,000 users five years ago.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:32:23 -0800
http://www.guardian.co.uk/anthrax/story/0,1520,653082,00.html

Anthrax suspect 'is US scientist'

FBI accused of dragging its heels after former government worker is questioned twice over attacks

Oliver Burkeman in New York
Wednesday February 20, 2002
The Guardian

The FBI has a suspect for last year's anthrax attacks, but is "dragging its heels" because he is a former government scientist familiar with secret state-sponsored research, a leading American expert on biological warfare said yesterday.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:31:22 -0800
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/2002/02/21/FFXW8SA0WXC.html

Family challenges America's right to hold Hicks

By GAY ALCORN
UNITED STATES CORRESPONDENT
WASHINGTON
Thursday 21 February 2002

Families of Australian David Hicks and two British citizens detained as suspected terrorists at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba yesterday filed a lawsuit challenging the legality of the US holding prisoners indefinitely and without laying charges.

It is the first lawsuit on behalf of individuals imprisoned on the American naval base. Lawyers for the three men said that Hicks, 26, of Adelaide, and Asif Iqbal, 20, and Shafiq Rasul, 24, from Britain, were not terrorists.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:13:29 -0500
Continuing the current trend of large-scale mergers and acquisitions, it
was announced today at a press conference that Christmas and Hanukkah
would merge. An industry source said that the deal had been in the works
for about 1300 years. While details were not available at press time, it
is believed that the overhead cost of having twelve days of Christmas
and eight days of Hanukkah was becoming prohibitive for both sides. By
combining forces, the world will be able to enjoy consistently high-
quality service during the Fifteen Days of Chrismukah, as the new
holiday is being called. Massive layoffs

[More ...]
No Replies
F. Leon Wilson
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:32:33 -0600
CHOMSKY:

Is this correct actions for the U.S.?

F. Leon
No Replies
F. Leon Wilson
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:54:55 -0600
CHOMSKY:

In regards to Lott, please click on:

<http://www.villagevoice.com/fiore/>

F. Leon
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:48:33 -0500
This week on Realistic Utopia, we present the annual Chaos Day lecture
by anarchist philosopher Peter Lamborn Wilson.

Since 1985, Peter Lamborn Wilson has given a talk shortly before the
winter solstice as part of the Libertarian Book Club's monthly Anarchist
Fora, and on in his 18th annual talk (Dec 10 2002) he spoke on anarchist
spirituality. Mostly he concentrated on christian anarchism, on the
theory that Christianity, is the religion most American anarchists grew
up with and therefore "the religion we hate the most" and the one which
presents the greatest challenge for him to find good things about.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:00:34 -0500
[From the Dec. 9, 2002 edition of World War 3 Report]
http://ww3report.com/#palestine15

15. REFUSENIKS GET FORCED LABOR

Yonatan Ben Artzi and Uri Ya'acobi, two young men who both already
served five consecutive prison terms for refusing to be drafted into the
Israeli army, were sentenced for the sixth time Dec. 8, and received
respectively 35 and 28 days in Military Prison-4. Ben Artzi will at the
end of this period come close to half a year in prison. No community
service has been allowed for these conscientious objectors; instead
they face military prison with its short nights and its long

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:41:14 -0500
"I will come to a time in my backwards trip when November eleventh,
accidentally my birthday, was a sacred day called Armistice Day. When I
was a boy, all the people of all the nations which had fought in the
First World War were silent during the eleventh minute of the eleventh
hour of Armistice Day, which was the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:13:51 -0500
Gore Vidal Says Oil Thirst Behind Bush Policies - November 05, 2002 By
Roberto Bonzio

MILAN, Italy (Reuters) - Controversial U.S. author Gore Vidal said
Tuesday President Bush organized last year's invasion of Afghanistan to
gain control of nearby oil and natural gas resources rather than to
fight terror.

"We know what they want. They want Caspian oil," the outspoken writer
told Reuters in a telephone interview from Rome. "Every important
player in the administration is from the oil and gas business, mostly
Texas."

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:10:11 -0500
Talk: Gore Vidal on Bush

Observer Worldview

Terrorism crisis: Observer special

Sunder Katwala
Sunday October 27, 2002
Observer

America's most controversial writer Gore Vidal has launched
the most scathing attack to date on George W Bush's Presidency,
calling for an investigation into the events of 9/11 to discover
whether the Bush administration deliberately chose not to act
on warnings of Al-Qaeda's plans.

[More ...]
No Replies
F. Leon Wilson
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:17:51 -0600
Chomsky subscribers:

Comments?

F. Leon

Date: October 7 2002

The US weapons inspection proposal is tantamount to occupation. Yet try looking in George Bush's back yard, writes Kenneth Davidson.

So now we know. Last week the New York Times and the Guardian newspapers carried well-timed and well-informed leaks of the American draft of the proposed United Nations Security Council Resolution ostensibly governing the operations of UN weapons inspectors in Iraq.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 00:17:07 -0400
Barbara Garson:
She really looked around the world to see how money and Globalization
affect the lives of people and she'll be telling us about it and
answering our questions for the October Anarchist Forum,
October 8 - 7:30 PM at the Brecht Forum.

On Tuesday, October 8, at 7:30pm, the Libertarian Book
Club’s Anarchist Forum welcomes the author of the hit antiwar satirical
play MacBird!, Barbara Garson, who will talk about what she saw and
learned pursuing her $65,000 book advance around the world from upstate
New York to Thailand. Conversing with fishermen in Malaysia and laid
off workers

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 13:30:21 -0700
Published on Tuesday, September 24, 2002 in the Toronto Globe & Mail
http://www.theglobeandmail.com

The Day the Empire Struck Back
by James Laxer

Make note of Sept. 20, 2002. Historians will surely mark it as a seminal moment in our new century. On that date, an old debate ended and a new one began.

For the past decade, analysts have been debating the question of whether the United States would follow the course of former powerful states such as Britain and Rome and proclaim itself an empire. In George W. Bush's National Security Strategy, submitted to the U.S. Congress on Sept.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:38:07 -0400
[I'm forwarding this announcement from Rev. Billy of the Church of Stop
Shopping; if you're not familiar with his work, check out revbilly.com.
-Jay]

Your humble Reverend and the Stop Shopping Gospel Choir will sing at the
military recruitment island in Times Square from 1 to 5 PM this Sunday,
September 29th. We are worshipping there to aid and abet a feature doc
entitled "Knock-Off - Revenge on the Logos" by film-maker Katharina
Weingartner.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 09:52:15 -0700
http://www.theage.com.au/text/articles/2002/09/21/1032054999559.htm

What our MPs think about going to war against Iraq

Melbourne Age
Date: September 22 2002

Members of parliament last week debated Australian involvement in a war against Iraq should the United States request Australia's participation. This is what some of them had to say.

Alexander Downer, Foreign Minister

"A nightmare for the international community would be for Iraqi weapons of mass destruction to find their way into the hands of terrorist organisations."

[More ...]
No Replies
Robert Napier
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:00:07 -0000
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26554-2002Sep16.html
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 23:55:01 -0400
On September 11, 2002, Kurt Vonnegut and Malachy McCourt were among the
speakers at St Matthew's Church on 10th St & 2nd Ave in Manhattan, at an
anniversary evening with Rev Billy & the Stop Shopping Choir in honor of
peacemakers. Kurt Vonnegut said this:

Dearly beloved; the text tonight is from the gospel of Matthew.
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the
children of God."

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:35:30 -0700
http://www.theage.com.au/text/articles/2002/09/11/1031608270456.htm

Democracy in peril

The Melbourne Age
Date: September 12 2002

What message is sent to countries like Iraq when America and Australia ignore international law, asks Malcolm Fraser.

The debate about Iraq cannot be divorced from the world we are seeking to build. Since the "war against terror" began a year ago, too many have acted as though they have forgotten what we in democracies stand for. Nelson Mandela cut to the heart of the matter at the Johannesburg Earth Summit when he said he opposed a unilateral attack on Iraq as a breach of international law.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 01:03:07 -0700
CounterPunch
September 3, 2002

The British in Palestine, 1945-48
A Conveniently Forgotten Holocaust

by Robert Fisk
The Independent

In the years that followed the Second World War, Lord Beaverbrook's old
Sunday Express would regale its readers with the secret history of the
1939-45 conflict: "What Hitler would have done if England was under Nazi
occupation"; "How Ike almost cancelled D-Day"; "Churchill's plans for using
gas on Nazi invaders." Often--though not always--the stories were true.
After war come the facts. It's not so long ago, after all, that we
discovered that Nato's mighty 1999 blitz on Serbia's army netted a total

[More ...]
No Replies
Robert Napier
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:24:47 -0000
If you guys can cope with the occasional biblical reference and the detail, you will find this
to be a devastatingly accurate account of what will bring the US down if nothing else does.

Copyright 2001
Final Diagnosis: Environmental Toxic Pathway Analysis and Immune System Cytokine Modality
Provide Key Insight into Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Mechanism and Etiology of Varied Pathogen
Driven Illnesses.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:47:44 -0700
http://www.theage.com.au/text/articles/2002/09/09/1031115997540.htm

On Iraq: make law, not war

Date: September 10 2002
The Melbourne Age

Saddam Hussein gets away with murder because of inadequate international law, writes Geoffrey Robertson.

States that wage 21st century wars must not only win them on the battlefield: they are expected to win, subsequently, in the courtroom, by proving the enemy guilty of some international crime. Since this is a necessary (although not necessarily sufficient) precondition for a just war, it behoves those who urge an invasion of Iraq to explain what they propose to do to Saddam Hussein when they capture him.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 17:23:18 -0400
Well the mass media haven't been very helpful in getting out the Word,
So........

The Anarchist Forum on Tuesday, September 10, 7:30PM, at the Brecht
Forum will be an open discussion of what has happened in the year since
9/11 and what needs to done about it. We seem be entering a world that
brings back the old spirits of imperial control and the tactics of J.
Edgar Hoover, but linked with new electronic tools and hyped up public
relations. We need to develop effective responses to the newly charged
oppressing world and to do that open, thoughtful discussion is

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 17:19:34 -0400
80th Anniversary of the Fire of Smyrna:

On September 9, 1922 Mustafa Kemal's army set fire to Smyrna. In the
days and weeks that followed, over 100,000 Greeks and Armenians were
killed and 2 million Greeks were expelled from Asia Minor, where their
ancestors had lived for three thousand years. During this ethnic
cleansing the western powers either did nothing or else abetted the
atrocities, acting in the interests not of the victims, but of oil
companies.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 12:42:31 -0700
What Americans have learnt - and not learnt - since 9/11

Date: September 7 2002
The Melbourne Age

Endless war poses a far greater danger to the United States than perceived enemies do, writes Noam Chomsky.

September 11 shocked many Americans into an awareness that they had better pay much closer attention to what the United States Government does in the world and how it is perceived.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
F. Leon Wilson
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 06:23:41 -0500
CHOMSKY subscribers:
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:22:52 -0400
Tonight on Realistic Utopia:

On Friday, August 23, the 75th anniversary of the executions of Sacco &
Vanzetti was marked with a rally in Union Square Park which was not
only a commemoration but also a demonstration against the continuing
evils of government in general and especially against the death penalty
and the rounding up of immigrant scapegoats, both of which continue to
blight our society in 2002 as they did in 1927.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:42:19 -0400

No Replies
frank scott
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:09:39 -0700
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
september 2002

The Degradation of Democracy
by Frank Scott

The anniversary of 911 nears, and there will be heartfelt memorials
commemorating the dreadful day, but productions suitable to terrorism
theme parks may be more common. Far deadlier than that one day
performance, which will fast be forgotten, is the longer range
performance potential of an intellectually disabled regime, presiding
over a structurally disabled system.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 15:17:14 -0700
http://www.theage.com.au/text/articles/2002/08/17/1029114031050.htm

Terror probe bill hits $745,000

Date: August 18 2002

By Brendan Nicholson
Political Correspondent

Australian police and security agencies have spent $745,000 investigating al Qaeda suspects Mamdouh Habib and David Hicks who are being held in a US prison camp at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

Some details of the costs emerged in written answers provided by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation and the Australian Federal Police to questions asked by the opposition's acting justice spokesman, Joe Ludwig, during Senate hearings earlier this year.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 18:31:06 -0700
http://www.theage.com.au/text/articles/2002/08/16/1029114013308.htm

Pressure for attack eases

Date: August 17 2002

By Louise Dodson
Chief Political Correspondent
Canberra

The Howard Government has given its first public assessment of when the United States might attack Iraq, saying a strike is not likely before next year.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer has also signalled that any Australian contribution would be very limited.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:46:57 -0700
US acting like Star Chamber, says judge
By David Rennie in Washington

The Daily Telegraph-UK
(Filed: 15/08/2002)

A judge has compared the Bush administration's actions over the
detention of an alleged Taliban fighter with those of medieval monarchs.

Yaser Esam Hamdi, who was in custody at the Guantanamo Bay naval base
in Cuba, was transferred to a military prison in Virginia after he
told authorities he was born in America. He has been held incommunicado
ever since.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:41:47 -0700
Bush anti-corruption chief accused of account fraud
By Simon English in New York

The Daily Telegraph-UK
(Filed: 15/08/2002)

President Bush's efforts to clean up corporate America were dealt an
embarrassing blow last night when the man charged with leading his
new anti-corruption task force was sued for alleged fraud.

Larry Thompson, who is also deputy attorney general, was accused of
dubious accounting practices and insider trading while on the board
of Providian, a credit card issuer that also operates in Britain.

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:29:41 -0700
well, now that a study has been done, maybe some of us will have an
easier time, "seeing" reality??
fs...

fyi:

University of Washington
16-Aug-02

Newsmagazines Downplayed Opposition Voices After Sept.
11
Library: LIF-SOC
NATIONALISM

terrorist attacks and their aftermath were unwittingly
complicit to government and military communication
strategies to rally public support, according to
findings by University of Washington researchers.
(Meeting: Association for Education in Journalism and
Mass Communication)

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 14:15:27 -0700
This was a really interesting exchange between Greg Sheridan and Labour MP George Galloway on Australian TV last night. Galloway doesn't know who Sheridan is, but we locals do. For decades Sheridan has been Australia's most ardent media champion for the Indonesian dictatorship. He defended the Indonesian military occupation of East Timor to the very last. Public opinion in Australia was virtually unanimously in favour of the Australian intervention in East Timor, but Sheridan ranted against the Howard government on that issue. Basically, he's on the right-wing fringe of Australian politics.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Bill Bartlett
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 23:40:29 -0700
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,773102,00.html

This is a recipe for global turmoil and endless war

Britain must respond to the shift signalled by Saddam Hussein

George Galloway
Monday August 12, 2002
The Guardian

Saddam Hussein raised a dyed black eyebrow when I asked him last week in
an underground bunker in Baghdad if he'd seen the picture of the British
Foreign Office minister, Mike O'Brien, kissing Colonel Gadafy under the
canvas on a Mediterranean beach. As well he might. Here was the ultimate
example of preferring jaw-jaw to war-war, in Churchill's famous phrase.
In the not too distant past, Gadafy armed and financed terrorists

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:41:16 -0700
http://www.theage.com.au/text/articles/2002/08/10/1028158032429.htm

Row on Iraq erupts

Date: August 11 2002

By Brendan Nicholson
Canberra

The row over Australia's threatened wheat exports to Iraq has
developed into a political brawl, with Opposition Leader Simon Crean
telling a "hot-headed" Foreign Minister Alexander Downer to calm down
and the Federal Government accusing Labor of taking Saddam Hussein's
side.

Iraq's senior representative in Australia, Saad Al Samarai, has for
the first time threatened to cut all Australian wheat imports, worth
more than $800 million a year, in retaliation for Australia's support
of US plans to launch a possible invasion.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:52:57 -0700
http://www.observer.co.uk/crimedebate/story/0,12079,768980,00.html

Called to the bar... with a burning
desire for justice

They defend dissidents and terror suspects - and these
dynamic young lawyers came of age last week with two
landmark victories

Marin Bright
Sunday August 4, 2002
The Observer

A group of barristers met up after work at a pub off London's Gray's Inn
Road last Thursday to celebrate the 'end of term'. Similar gatherings were
taking place all across the Inns of Court, London's legal district, as the
profession prepared for its extraordinary 'long vacation' that lasts until
October. But the group downing beers in the Duke of

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 00:13:14 -0700
ABC News
Thursday August 1, 2002

*Habib lawyer plans Cuban trial attempt*

The lawyer for a Sydney man who is being held in a US prison in Cuba on
suspicion of being a Taliban member says he may apply to have his
client's case heard in the Cuban court system.

A US Federal Court judge has ruled that Adelaide man David Hicks cannot
have his case heard in a US court because the prison camp is not under
US jurisdiction.

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:35:57 -0700
this comment by president birdbrain, on the senate welfare bill, has
been nominated for dumbest quote of the century...I think it's too
early, but ....

"Under the way they're kind of writing it right now
out of the Senate Finance Committee, some people could
spend their entire five years — there's a five-year
work requirement — on welfare going to college," Bush
said.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:45:21 -0400
This week Realistic Utopia presents footage from the Living Theatre's
March 2001 workshop held to teach the anti-death penalty street theatre
protest "Not in My Name," along with scenes from the play itself as
performed in Times Square and at a community garden on the lower east
side.

Free workshops are held once or twice a year to teach new participants
to perform this play (no performing experience required); to register
for the next workshop leave a message at the Not in My Name hotline
(212-969-8905) and you will be contacted when the workshop is scheduled.
The next performances of

[More ...]
No Replies
F. Leon Wilson
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:08:31 -0500
CHOMSKY subscribers:

* * This posting is on the ADMIN topic, please be careful with replies.

St. Johns has upgraded its network hardware and this weekend I will make
software modifications to take advantage of several new features for
controlling SPAMM and viral attacks.

Like any remote software installation, I'm not clear what effect this will
have on CHOMSKY, but the possibility exists that some e-mail delays may
occur between 6:00 PM EST Saturday night until 11:00 AM EST Sunday
morning.

[More ...]
No Replies
michael pugliese
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:25:51 -0700
Serious points first. Eric Margolis, as some googling will
show, was a supporter of the CIA backed anti-Soviet mujahadeen
in Afghanistan in the 80's. Some exemplar of political judgement,
eh? That piece was a perfect example of what the tiresome neo-cons
call moral equivalence. Bush is a thug. Sharon and Saddaam too.
In the psywar for public opinion, unless one is satisfied reaching
those already convinced of the evils of the Us Empire, pieces
like the glib Margolis will convince no one.
From Dobkin's p.s. I gather he thinks there was a virus in
the URL in the, "Chomsky Sucks,

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
Michael Pugliese
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:57:04 -0700
http://nuance.dhs.org/lbo-talk/current/1431.html

Interesting article about Horowitz, Chomsky and the neo-cons.
http://www.antiwar.com/orig/carson1.html
Joseph Stromberg mentioned in the above is a Libertarian who
pays attn. to left theory, has an article in a recent, "Critical
Review, " on neo-marxist state theory. On antiwar.com he has
written on William A. Williams,Gabriel Kolko and Corporate Liberalism.
(Useful critique of that approach by Fred Block in his book of
essays, http://www.temple.edu/tempress/titles/452_reg_print.html
Michael Pugliese
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 11:10:38 -0400
July 21, 2002

Saddam fights back!

"My heroic, democratic and peace-loving Iraqi brothers - it's time for a
'regime change' in Washington!"

By ERIC MARGOLIS -- Contributing Foreign Editor, Toronto Sun.

American President George Bush has been demanding a "regime change" in
"evil" Iraq, which he plans to invade. Saddam Hussein's possible reply,
from Baghdad:

"My fellow Iraqis, it's time for a 'regime change' in the United States.
President George W. Bush must go!

[More ...]
No Replies
Michael Pugliese
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 23:43:38 -0700
http://www.oldpunks.com/oldpunks4-2.html
Show Replies 1 Reply
frank scott
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:02:27 -0700
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
August 2002

Another World is Necessary
by Frank Scott

In America , God fearing patriotism - the kind that supports war -has
always dominated god loving patriotism - the kind that supports peace -
and recent hysteria over pledging allegiance to the god of fear only
indicates once again that we have big problems. Unfortunately, they
aren’t simply our rituals of regimentation, but more the actions of
our disabled political economy . The rituals serve to take our minds off
that reality, and

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:46:14 -0700
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/s604858.htm

Transcript
11/7/2002
Govt still unmoved by Habib's incarceration

KERRY O'BRIEN: Welcome to the program.

An Australian citizen is arrested in a foreign country, flown to a second
country where he is held incommunicado and interrogated for months.

Then he's flown to a third and finally to a fourth country, where he's
now being held in a military prison with no access to his family or a
lawyer.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:51:53 -0700
http://www.nature.com/nsu/011004/011004-16.html

Language gene found

The first linking of a gene to language could speed our understanding of this most unique and most controversial of human abilities. 4 October 2001

JOHN WHITFIELD

Language problems run in the 'KE' family. Members of several generations speak "as if each sound is costing them their soul", one researcher has said. They struggle to control their lips and tongue, to form words, and to use and understand grammar. "To the naive listener, their speech is almost unintelligible," says geneticist Anthony Monaco, of the University of Oxford in England.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:33:44 -0700
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/09/international/middleeast/09MIDE.html?ex=1027280726&ei=1&en=e4d073ab97b90780

Plan to Keep Israeli Arabs Off Some Land Is Backed

July 9, 2002
By JOEL GREENBERG

JERUSALEM, July 8 - A cabinet vote endorsing a bill that
would bar Israeli Arabs from buying homes in Jewish
communities built on state land caused an uproar here
today, with critics in and outside the government calling
it racist.

On Sunday the cabinet voted, 17 to 2 with one abstention,
to support the bill submitted by Rabbi Haim Druckman, a
lawmaker from the rightist National Religious Party.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 11:03:08 -0700
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
LATELINE
Late night news & current affairs

TV PROGRAM TRANSCRIPT
LOCATION: abc.net.au > Lateline > Archives

Broadcast: 3/7/2002
Aust could be terrorist target: US ambassador
The United States says two Australians suspected of being Al Qaeda operatives
will remain in prison until the campaign against terrorism ends. The US
ambassador to Australia says there's ample evidence David Hicks and Mamdouh
Habib were involved in activities in Afghanistan. And the ambassador also
believes Australians are still too complacent about terrorism.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 10:22:19 -0700
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
LATELINE
Late night news & current affairs

TV PROGRAM TRANSCRIPT
LOCATION: abc.net.au > Lateline > Archives

Broadcast: 3/7/2002

UN mission likely to leave Bosnia

Dr Nicholas White, the Balkans program director with the International Crisis
Group in Brussels, tells Tony Jones that if there's no compromise in the rift
between the US and its European allies, "the United Nations mission in Bosnia
will simply have to pack up its bags and leave".

[More ...]
No Replies
F. Leon Wilson
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 09:37:39 -0500
CHOMSKY Members:

This is a reminder of the various Listserv commands available to you.

The easiest and fastest way to make changes to your CHOMSKY subscription
is from the "Join or leave the list " hyperlink at our archives <
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/chomsky.html>.

All of the following commands *must* be sent to the LISTSERV address.

The LISTSERV address is:

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 15:52:33 -0700
http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/GIS.Servlets.HTMLTemplate?current_row=1&tf=tgam/columnists/FullColumn.html&cf=tgam/columnists/FullColumn.cfg&configFileLoc=tgam/config&date=&dateOffset=&hub=marcusGee&title=Marcus_Gee&cache_key=marcusGee&start_row=1&num_rows=1

U.S. vetoes Bosnia mission to protest
new world court

By MARCUS GEE
Monday, July 1, 2002 - Page A1

Showing once again that it is
willing to defy international
opinion and go it alone in the
world, Washington tried to pull
the plug last night on the UN-mandated peacekeeping mission in
Bosnia, fearing that U.S. soldiers might be arrested by the new
international criminal court.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Bill Bartlett
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:10:40 -0700
http://www.theage.com.au/text/articles/2002/07/02/1023864732014.htm

Europeans wait in vain for Bush to back the International Criminal Court

Date: July 3 2002

By Matthew Engel

As the international criminal court quietly became a reality in The Hague, European diplomats tried to stay optimistic that America would eventually stop sulking and join in its operation. But the US absence is seen by analysts in Washington as something far deeper than an aberration by the Bush administration, but instead reflects a strand in American political philosophy that can be traced to George Washington.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 16:06:58 -0700
This week Realistic Utopia will include a performance of the Living
Theatre's anti-death penalty street theatre protest "Not in My Name."

Also this week: the ongoing corporate crime wave.

And: It's that time of year again--we're coming up on July 4, when we
all celebrate the fact that we live in a democracy where leaders are
freely elected and not appointed--oh, right, that's no longer true...
Well, anyway, at least we live in a free country where people can't just
be locked up at the whim of the government, without even a semblance of
due process and--no, wait a minute,

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:44:13 -0400
www.hotel-online.com/Neo/News/PR2002_2nd/Jun02_CEOnistas.html

Remaining U.S. CEOs Make a Break for It - Band of Roving
Chief Executives Spotted Miles from Mexican Border

San Antonio, Texas - June 27, 2002 — Unwilling to wait for their
eventual indictments, the 10,000 remaining CEOs of public U.S.
companies made a break for it yesterday, heading for the Mexican
border, plundering towns and villages along the way, and writing the
entire rampage off as a marketing expense.
“They came into my home, made me pay for my own TV, then double-booked
the revenues,” said Rachel Sanchez of Las Cruces, just north of El
Paso. “Right in

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:23:02 -0400
[note: I found this at groong.usc.edu, a very useful alternative news
source which I highly recommend. "Groong," in case you're wondering, is
Armenian for "crane"--the bird which symbolizes the Armenians--but the
website has news of all parts the world, not just Armenian-related news.
-Jay Dobkin]

PRESS RELEASE
Armenian National Committee of Eastern Massachusetts
Contact: Siran Tamakian
47 Nichols Avenue, Watertown, MA
Phone: 617-926-1918
Email:[log in to unmask]
www.anca.org

[More ...]
No Replies
Michael Pugliese
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:05:10 -0700
http://www.newsandletters.org/Issues/1999/Dec/12.99_chomsky.htm

BOOK REVIEW:
The New Military Humanism: Lessons from Kosovo, by Noam Chomsky (Monroe, Maine:
1999, Common Courage Press)
December 1999

Chomsky
ignores lessons of wars in Kosova

By Peter Hudis

There once was a time when the
radical critic, faced with rape camps and mass killings against an ethnic
minority, could be counted on to attack the offending regime, expose the
complicity of the Western powers, and extend solidarity to the victims of
oppression. But no more-at least judging from Noam Chomsky's latest book on the
war in Kosova.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
David Griffin
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:55:26 EDT
Starbucks, others the target of Arab boycott

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=305043

Robert Fisk: in The Independent. 14 June 2002.

Starbucks the target of Arab boycott for its
growing links to Israel.

BEIRUT -- Across five Arab states a new and closely co-ordinated
campaign to boycott American goods is being launched, with Starbucks
coffee shops their primary target, but with Nestle, Coca-Cola, Johnson &
Johnson and Burger King outlets also on the list.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 02:07:44 -0700
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/11/national/11LEGA.html?ex=1024814880&ei=1&en=636787ae4853c2c2

A Host of Legal Questions on U.S. Action in Bomb Case

June 11, 2002
By ADAM LIPTAK

For a nation still finding its way in the fight against
terrorism, the case of Jose Padilla, also known as Abdullah
al-Muhajir, poses a host of legal questions and
contradictions.

Mr. Padilla, who is accused of planning to explode a
radioactive device, is an American citizen. He has been in
custody since May 8 but has not been charged with a crime.
He is, instead, being held as an "enemy combatant."

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:12:41 -0400
Published on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 in the Madison Capital Times

Cheney's Money Has Roots in Evil
by Dave Zweifel

Our president has made it abundantly clear that Iraq's Saddam Hussein
is the ringleader of what he calls the axis of evil.

Whether that's indeed the case is something that undoubtedly will play
out during the coming months as the United States continues its war on
terrorism.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 12:25:32 -0700
From the Melbourne Age

http://www.theage.com.au/text/articles/2002/06/03/1022982671238.htm

Cheikh Kone: the case of detainee number NBP451

Date: June 4 2002

By Arnold Zable

In 1960, International PEN, an organisation that represents writers worldwide, set up a "Writers in Prison Committee" in response to mounting concerns about attempts in many countries to silence writers.

Every six months, the committee produces a booklet that documents the cases of writers who have been threatened, imprisoned, tortured, beaten, exiled or assassinated for their contrary views.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jonathan Julius Dobkin
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:35:47 -0400
REALISTIC UTOPIA

Monday nights at midnight on the web at www.mnn.org
(requires Quicktime, which is downloadable for free at
www.mnn.org) & on channel 34, Manhattan public access TV

This week (midnight Mon. June 3 going on Tues. June 4):
Judith Malina, Hanon Reznikov, & Ira Cohen reading at
the Pink Pony on Weds, May 29, 2002.

[More ...]
No Replies
MichaelP
Fri, 31 May 2002 12:12:10 -0700
Noam Chomsky will Debate William Bennett on CNN, Paula Zahn's
morning show 5:20am pacific time, 8:20am eastern standard time.
Here's a transcript!!

CNN Debate on "Terrorism"
Chomsky v. Bennett
[CNN Transcript, May 30, 2002]

PAULA ZAHN, CNN ANCHOR: They are two best selling authors with two very
different takes on terrorism. In his book, "9-11," Noam Chomsky accuses
the United States of being a terrorist state. He says the war in
Afghanistan is wrong, states that in recent history, America has committed
acts of terrorism, and maintains that America's foreign policy is
hypocritical.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Bill Bartlett
Wed, 29 May 2002 16:04:03 -0700
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/05/25/1022243277604.html

Bully for Australia, when it
stands up for itself

By Terry Lane
May 26 2002

The first casualty of war is precision. I offer an example from
this newspaper last Sunday. This comes from the story about a
bunch of Australian soldiers who had to be rescued by the Poms
- oh the bitter humiliation - in Afghanistan last week.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Wed, 29 May 2002 11:03:07 -0700
http://www.guardian.co.uk/humanrights/story/0,7369,723680,00.html

Human rights 'sidelined' since
September 11

Sarah Left
Tuesday May 28, 2002

Amnesty International today condemned the very governments which had set
up human rights statutes for undermining them in the name of
anti-terrorism measures after the September 11 attacks on New York and
Washington.

Launching its annual report on human rights around the world, the
organisation said governments fearing terrorism have been "increasingly
sidelining human rights in name of security" and claimed that democracies,
rather than dictatorships, had been taking the lead in curbing civil
liberties.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Fri, 24 May 2002 16:18:53 -0700
This story is weird and tragic. Its about an Australian disability pensioner who the US government is holding hostage in Cuba. His family recently had their pension payments cut, on the basis that he had exceeded the time he was permitted to remain outside the country. The fact that he has been kidnapped and is being held against his will by a foreign power is apparently no excuse. Obviously he can't be sent back, because the US has made it a condition that they won't send anyone back to their own country unless that country imprisons them, but he has

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Bill Bartlett
Wed, 22 May 2002 12:27:05 -0700
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/05/21/1021882051530.html

Locked away in Guantanamo Bay

By Gay Alcorn
May 22 2002

If Australian officials had visited America's terrorist prison camp
at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, a few weeks ago, they would have
found open-air, cage-like cells hurriedly built to hold hundreds of
men captured during the war in Afghanistan. Camp X-ray, as it
was called, had a decidedly temporary feel.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jon Davies
Wed, 22 May 2002 12:13:25 +0100
From the Comment Section of the newspaper

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4417654,00.html

Riddle of the spores

Why has the FBI investigation into the anthrax attacks
stalled? The evidence points one way

George Monbiot
Guardian

Tuesday May 21, 2002

The more a government emphasises its commitment to defence,
the less it seems to care about the survival of its people.
Perhaps it is because its attention may be focused on more
distant prospects: the establishment and maintenance of
empire, for example, or the dynastic succession of its leaders.
Whatever the explanation for the neglect of their security may
be, the people of America have discovered

[More ...]
No Replies
frank scott
Mon, 20 May 2002 22:14:03 -0700
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
June, 2002

Affirmative Action Means Democracy
by Frank Scott

"Back during slavery...There were two kinds of Negroes. There was that
old
house Negro and the field Negro. And the house Negro always looked out
for
his master. When the field Negroes got too much out of line, he held
them back in check. He put 'em back on the plantation.” Malcolm X

[More ...]
No Replies
Frank Scott
Sun, 19 May 2002 19:01:50 -0500
CHOMSKY Subscribers:

James Baldwin, from a 1972 essay (reproduced in "Malcolm X: As They Knew
Him," ed. David Gallen, 1992):

"The others were discussing the past or the future, or a country which may
once have existed, or one which may yet be brought into existence--Malcolm
was speaking of the bitter and unanswerable present. And it was too
important that this be heard for anyone to attempt to soften it.It was
important, of course, for white people to hear it, if they were still able
to hear; but it was of the utmost importance for black people to hear it,

[More ...]
No Replies
Frank Scott
Sun, 19 May 2002 13:44:12 -0500
CHOMSKY:

"Back during slavery, when Black people like me talked to the slaves, they
didn't kill 'em, they sent some old house Negro around behind him to undo
what he said....There were two kinds of Negroes. There was that old house
Negro and the field Negro. And the house Negro always looked out for his
master. When the field Negroes got too much out of line, he held them back
in check. He put 'em back on the plantation.

[More ...]
No Replies
Michael Pugliese
Sun, 19 May 2002 10:49:24 -0700
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2496/future/chomsky.html
No Replies
Brandon Sparks
Sat, 18 May 2002 23:17:18 -0400
No abstract is available available for this message. [Read Message ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Sat, 18 May 2002 01:52:11 -0700
http://workers.labor.net.au/136/c_historicalfeature_kimberleys.html

Workers Online Edition
Issue No. 136 - 17 May 2002

International

The Un-Promised Land

Andrew Casey lifts the lid on a little-known campaign to establish a Jewish homeland in the Kimberleys.
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Tue, 14 May 2002 11:29:24 -0700
http://www.guardian.co.uk/oil/story/0,11319,714504,00.html

Opec chief warned Chavez about coup

Greg Palast
Monday May 13, 2002
The Guardian

The Venezuelan president, Hugo Chavez, had advance warning of last month's
coup attempt against him from the secretary general of Opec, Ali Rodriguez,
allowing him to prepare an extraordinary plan which saved both his
government and his life, an investigation has revealed.

Mr Rodriguez, who is Venezuelan and a former leftwing guerrilla,
telephoned Mr Chavez from the Vienna headquarters of the Organisation of
Petroleum Exporting Countries, of which Venezuela is an important
member, several days before the attempted overthrow in April.

[More ...]
No Replies
Sergey F. Klepko
Mon, 13 May 2002 15:16:37 +0400
Dear colleagues,

I am planning the balance monographic interdisciplinary study "The
Right to Educational Self-defence in Postsoviet Ukraine". Its goal is to
study the realization state of the right to knowledge freedom and
scientific research, problems of equal access to education in different
aspects, in particular rights to receiving scientific degrees.

I am interested in generalizing works and statistics of giving scientific
degrees in different countries.

[More ...]
No Replies
MichaelP
Fri, 10 May 2002 18:38:21 -0700
The Guardian (London) Saturday May 11, 2002
NOAM CHOMSKY

The US presents itself as the peace-broker in the Middle East. The reality
is different

A year ago, the Hebrew University sociologist Baruch Kimmerling observed
that "what we feared has come true - War appears an unavoidable fate", an
"evil colonial" war. His colleague Ze'ev Sternhell noted that the Israeli
leadership was now engaged in "colonial policing, which recalls the
takeover by the white police of the poor neighbourhoods of the blacks in
South Africa during the apartheid era". Both stress the obvious: there is
no symmetry between the "ethno-national groups"

[More ...]
No Replies
Michael Pugliese
Thu, 9 May 2002 23:02:52 -0700
http://www.wsws.org/public_html/prioriss/iwb9-25/chomsky.htm
No endorsement implied!
Michael Pugliese
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Thu, 9 May 2002 14:13:33 -0700
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/comment/0,10551,712266,00.html

This slur of anti-semitism is used to defend repression

Ending Israel's occupation will benefit Jews and Muslims in
Europe

Seumas Milne
Thursday May 9, 2002
The Guardian

Since the French revolution, the fates of the Jewish people and the left have
been closely intertwined. The left's appeal to social justice and universal
rights created a natural bond with a people long persecuted and excluded by
the Christian European establishment.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Wed, 8 May 2002 00:37:19 -0700
http://www.harvardmagazine.com/on-line/050218.html

(A remarkably candid essay -- "The Future of War and the American Military,"
in the May/June issue of Harvard Magazine, openly calls on the U.S. to plan
for "imperial wars." Written by Stephen Peter Rosen, a former NSC and
Defense Department staffer who now has an endowed full professorship.)

The Future of War and the American Military

[More ...]
No Replies
David Griffin
Tue, 7 May 2002 19:35:10 EDT
Published on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 by CommonDreams.org
Please, Dad, Tell Me:
How Do I Stop Being Complicit?
by Sarah Shields

Dear Dad,
It was an enormously heavy responsibility you raised me with. You
taught me
that the Jews have been oppressed for centuries. You taught me that
the
holocaust could only happen because the Germans were silent. You
taught me
that Jews must never, never, never be silent when injustice occurs,
because
our silence makes us complicit.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Bill Bartlett
Sun, 5 May 2002 09:35:54 -0700
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2002/may2002/vene-m03_prn.shtml
World Socialist Web Site www.wsws.org

The AFL-CIO's role in the Venezuelan coup

By Bill Vann

An agency directed by the AFL-CIO trade union federation played a key role in funding and advising those who organized the recent abortive military coup attempt in Venezuela. The AFL-CIO's role in the US-backed plot underscores the fact that even as the union apparatus becomes increasingly irrelevant as a significant factor in American politics and the lives of US workers, it continues to conspire against the democratic rights and class interests of workers internationally.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 17:52:43 -0700
http://workers.labor.net.au/133/c_historicalfeature_france.html

Workers Online (Labornet)
Issue No. 133 - 26 April 2002

Politics

Left Right Out In France

The results of the first round vote for the French presidency have
led to mass protests and calls for national unity, Paul Howes reports.
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 11:07:41 -0700
http://www.observer.co.uk/comment/story/0,6903,687944,00.html

If you want a free vote, ask nicely

The American President has a singular view of democracy.
After all, look what happened in Florida

Observer Worldview

Terry Jones
Sunday April 21, 2002
The Observer

After last weekend's shocking events in Venezuela, in which President
Chavez was ousted in a free and fair democratic coup, only to be returned to
office two days later on what seems to have been little more than the whim of
the people, the leaders of the Free World have clearly been forced to
reconsider the nature of democracy.

[More ...]
No Replies
Martin W. Smith
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:36:16 +0200
http://www.SmirkingChimp.com/article.php?sid=6219&mode=thread&order=0
No Replies
frank scott
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:07:59 -0700
COASTAL POST
(415)868 1600 FAX (415) 868 0502
P.O. Box 31
Bolinas CA 94924
http://www.coastalpost.com
email: [log in to unmask]
May, 2002

The Judeo-Christian Menace
by Frank Scott

We are supposedly in a struggle with an Islamic world bent on taking
over “the west”. This, according to pundits , government figures, and
other bigots who use the worst racial and religious slanders, reducing
more than a billion human beings to hordes of terrorist madmen. But
where does the madness originate, and which religious doctrines are at
the root of the savagery that grips our world?

[More ...]
No Replies
michael pugliese
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 23:07:29 -0700
http://www.centerforbookculture.org/context/no10/berube.html

Nation and Narration

Michael Berube

Imagine the 43rd Presidency without Osama bin Laden, the year
2001 with an uneventful

September 11.

It's January 2002, one year after Bush's controversial inauguration,
and the White House is a shambles. Having passed the tax bill
that was the only rationale for his Presidency in the eyes of
his financiers, George W. Bush is in deep doo-doo. The post-New
Economy recession is in full swing, and working Americans have
discovered to their dismay that the $300-$600 rebates they received
back in 2001 will cover a couple of heating bills and winter
clothes for

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
F. Leon Wilson
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 07:54:58 -0500
CHOMSKY Subscribers:

Everyone is to post their closing (finial) arguments on the discussion of
Zionism, Palestine, Israel and the issues related to this conflict.

Everyone is permitted ONE LAST post to the list. All rebuttals should be
sent privately to the sender of your choice.

Thank you and may your argument be convincing!

Good writing!

F. Leon Wilson
CHOMSKY Forum Owner
Show Replies 1 Reply
David Griffin
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:53:42 EDT
Note, below, the foundations of Zionism as outlined by Theodor Herzl, whose
dictates were directly taken into account in the establishment of the modern
state of Israel. Do you suppose what is written below has anything to do with
capitalism? -- david

Theodor Herzl, The Jewish State
Chapter 3

III.

T h e .. J e w i s h .. C o m p a n y__________

[More ...]
No Replies
Bob Rogers
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 08:12:16 -0700
[log in to unmask] wrote..
>Would you, Bob, and David please send your messages only to each other. Your
>email addresses come with your messages, When I see your names, I delete
>your messages without reading them, as I'm sure many others on this list do.
>It is intrusive, inconsiderate, and an abuse of the freedom of the list for
>you to send your messages to the entire list. I would think some have signed
>off the list because of it. So, please.

[More ...]
No Replies
Martin W. Smith
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 13:35:00 +0200
...for two people to communicate effectively, when they use a word, they
must both use the same meaning of the word.

David Griffin wrote:

> In a message dated 4/7/2002 5:16:49 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
> writes:

Could you change your mailer so it writes "Martin wrote:" or something
like that? We don't need to know the date and time and the time zone
and my email address. If you can't change your mailer, then just edit
the text yourself.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bill Bartlett
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 13:31:13 -0700
Now this is what I call intelligent analysis:
No Replies
Bob Rogers
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 13:14:05 -0700
(I'd originally sent this earlier this morning, but since it didn't go
through then, here it is now)

Come on, David. You know perfectly well what I was saying, and that there
was no personal criticism of you, your mother, or your grandmother implied.
You used the first person singular and I merely replied in the same vein.
Might I have said it differently? Of course. But for you to take offence
here, is like me taking offence at someone saying "white people like you
(which I admittedly am, as you are admittedly Jewish) committed horrendous
crimes against African Americans"

[More ...]
No Replies
David Griffin
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 15:40:15 EDT
Published on Sunday, February 8, 1998 in the Orlando Sentinel
Pop Quiz on the Middle East
by Charlie Reese

Question: Which country alone in the Middle East has nuclear weapons?
Answer: Israel.
Q: Which country in the Middle East refuses to sign the nuclear
non-proliferation treaty and bars international inspections?
A: Israel.

Q: Which country in the Middle East seized the sovereign territory of
other nations by military force and continues to occupy it in
defiance of United Nations Security Council resolutions?
A: Israel.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bob Rogers
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 10:04:10 -0700
'Jews may not want to look at this'

Tuesday is Holocaust Day in Israel: and the anniversary of a 1948 massacre
that triggered the Palestinian refugee crisis at the heart of today's
conflict. Robert Fisk meets an Auschwitz survivor living at the site of the
atrocity

By Robert Fisk

"I will show you my museum," Josef Kleinman says, and scampers into a back
room. He returns with a faded old khaki knapsack. "This is the shirt the
Americans gave me after I was freed from Landsberg on 27 April 1945." It is
a crumpled, cheap check shirt

[More ...]
Show Replies 3 Replies
andrew mandell
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 09:16:13 -0500
This 1992 defense planning guide quoted by Nick Cohen, anyone know if it
is available online anywhere?
Andrew
No Replies
David Griffin
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 03:53:50 EDT
examine Theodor Herzl's-- considered the "father of Zionism"-- plan for a
Zionist state. If you like, go on to examine the entire text at:

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/6640/zion/judenstaadt.html

Is the plan for a Zionist state a religious one or an economic one? Why or
why not?

-- David

[from Chapter 2]

THE PLAN

The whole plan is in its essence perfectly simple, as it must necessarily be
if it is to come within the comprehension of all.

[More ...]
Show Replies 4 Replies
David Griffin
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 03:21:20 EDT
just a reference point here: the definition of "historical materialism" from
the marxists archive. Note in particular the place of the term "religious"
vis-a-vis the state. -- david

Historical Materialism

"This conception of history depends on our ability to expound the real
process of production, starting out from the material production of life
itself, and to comprehend the form of intercourse connected with this and
created by this mode of production (i.e. civil society in its various
stages), as the basis of all history; describing it in its action as the
state, and to explain all the different theoretical products

[More ...]
Show Replies 6 Replies