CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Martin W. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 17:36:42 +0200
Jonathan Julius Dobkin wrote:

> As someone who regularly wins bottles of wine at my local pub's weekly
> trivia night, I've actually heard the term "pom," and know it's oz-speak
> for "prisoners of" something; of what not even I can remember.

I don't think that's it.  It is an abbreviation of pomegranate, which
was an alternate form of the term "Jimmy Grant," which was the rhyming
slang term for immigrant.  That's what the Merriam Webswter dictionary
says anyway.  That sounds right to me.  It's too wierd to be false.  But
who knows.  I want to know where "Bob's your uncle" came from.

martin

--
Martin Smith               email: [log in to unmask]
Vollsveien 9               tel. : +47 6783 1188