THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:34:56 -0500
>From:    John McMahon <[log in to unmask]>

>TSH                        2.042     range 0.35--5.500
>
>Thyroxine (T4)        12.1        range 4.5--12.0
>
>T3 uptake                21          range 24-39
>
>Free Thyroxine Index    2.5    range 1.2--4.9
>

>I have not been to see the doctor about this yet, but in his scribbling on
>the test it says that the abnormalities are probably due to the hepatitis.

First, median TSH in large studies is 1.5.  Second even people with good TSH
levels are sometimes still hypothyroid.

Third, the active thyroid hormone is T3.  That wasn't measured.  (T3 uptake
is a strange calculation that has something to do with binding proteins, it
does not in any way measure T3.)

T4 is an inactive hormone, mainly a storage vehicle for T3.  T3 is  made by
an organ taking a molecule of iodine from T4 to make active T3.   Most of
the active T3 is de-iodinezed in the liver, but some of the organs also have
a way to take iodine away and make T3.

Anyway, with liver problems which hepatitis implies, it would not be a
surprise if you had problems converting T4 to T3.  That in some cases
explains why a person would have high T4 levels, because it doesn't
efficiently turn to T3.  Once again, no one took your T3 levels.  Lack of T4
does not make anyone hypothyroid, lack of T3 does.

Many people with thyroid symptoms but normal labs get better when treated
adequately for hypothyroidism.

So, he knew the abnormalities might be caused by hepatitis (the liver) but
didn't bother running the T3 test.  (It's either total T3 or Free T3, and
most people think the Free T3 readings are best.)  He probably did more than
a lot of doctors would have.

Most doctors would look at those labs and not recognize hypothyroidism, and
if there weren't symptoms, they'd probably be right.

Skipper

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.