EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:53:42 -0700
To reply to a digest, insert the relevant message header; don't reply to the digest header

That "rowing" motion from a pushup position looks pretty cool. I'll have to
try that sometime.

> 1) Intensity.  Agreed, this is a vital aspect of paleo exercise.  At
least =
> for men.

I believe it should be a mix, as in HIIT. When I bike I alternate between
easy and hard. Some weight training I do with heavy weights and low reps,
some with lighter weights and higher reps. I believe it's more reflective
of paleo-life.

> 2) Free form.  I respectfully disagree.  Properly built machines that
stres=
> s the *function* of our musculature are far superior to "free-form"
exercis=
> e.

What's wrong with a mix? Some training I do on machines - primarily for
safety's sake - some I absolutely prefer free weights. I guess it kinda
depends on whether you are after functional fitness vs. sheer strength.
Even some free weight exercises are not very functional. I don't buy into
the "non-specifity" arguments of the HIT crowd, especially when it comes to
"non-sport" activities and fitness.

> 3) Irregularity.  Agreed.  I work out every three or four days.

Also agreed.

> 4) To exhaustion.  Agreed.

Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. I'm sure some activites - particularly those
related to survival - were performed to exhaustion. I'm sure other, less
critical activities (play?) were performed until mental "failure", or
perhaps boredom, rather than physical exhaustion.

> 5) Fun.  Properly performed exercise ain't fun.  Any more than carrying
buf=
> falo meat back to camp was fun.

But, humans have this tendency to try to make even the most mundane
activity "fun". (Notice, I said "try". We are not always successful :). I
can imagine a couple of hunters challenging each other by seeing who could
care the largest piece, or who could carry it further. Making a game out of
it.

I believe there is always a potential element of "fun" in any exercise
activity. Even if it's just the "fun" of succesfully beating a previous
personal record.

The FAQ for Evolutionary Fitness is at http://www.evfit.com/faq.htm