Direct questions about this LISTSERV to one of the following listowners. Contact should be in the order shown.
Show Table of Contents

Janice Frasche
Tue, 15 Jan 2019 16:12:17 -0800
Been a long time since I've heard from this list. I
thought I'd post a few new Youtube vids to contribute
food for thought.

Electron microscope pic studies like this are new and
contribute a lot of information to the issues of
Metabolic Syndrome. I put a timer on it so it starts
by showing how a carbohydrate meal contributes to
inflammation with damage to the arterial glycocalyx.
To understand it better, watch the whole video.
https://youtu.be/ofq-8ToY2fc?t=1483

[More ...]
No Replies
Don Wiss
Wed, 17 May 2017 21:23:02 -0400
The popularity of our paleo diet has brought about the public's
desire to eat more protein. In recent decades breakfast has had less
protein. So the companies are responding.

One example is New! Cheerios Protein. On this page:
http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=538A2606-4CBF-45EA-4857-968B8EEC8B0E

If you scroll down you will find the ingredient list. Sugar appears
many times in different forms. And where does the protein come from?
Why soy protein. What else is so cheap.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Jim Swayze
Wed, 15 Mar 2017 08:07:33 -0500
Quick update. I am six weeks into an eight week experiment based primarily on Phinney and Volek’s excellent Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living. Really, it’s a moderate protein, low carb (zero), moderate to low fat diet. Yes, you read that right: moderate to low fat. No, I’m not afraid of fat! But, yes, my body has plenty of fat and therefore I don’t need to consume any for energy. (Supplementing fish oil occasionally when I’m not eating grass fed beef and lamb or wild fish). I’m using a scale, but I’m also using skin fold calipers.

[More ...]
Show Replies 11 Replies
Suzanne R
Tue, 14 Mar 2017 23:01:59 -0400
I've been exploring Dr. Jack Kruse's site and ideas. Sharing this, FYI, FWIW. As always, open to thoughts & comments about the content.

https://www.jackkruse.com/organization-structural-failure-8-ketosis-appears-fail/
Show Replies 1 Reply
Jim Swayze
Tue, 3 Jan 2017 10:37:23 -0600
Nina’s update:

The good news to announce today is that on Friday, The BMJ announced that it is not retracting the article I wrote critiquing the science behind the Dietary Guidelines. The BMJ stood strongly by the article, including this comment by BMJ Editor-in-Chief, Fiona Godlee: “We stand by Teicholz’s article with its important critique of the advisory committee’s processes for reviewing the evidence, and we echo her conclusion: ‘Given the ever increasing toll of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease, and the failure of existing strategies to make inroads in fighting these diseases, there is an urgent need to provide

[More ...]
No Replies
Don Wiss
Thu, 29 Dec 2016 20:19:16 -0500
Book can be seen here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0062249339

A friend is reading the book. I have not seen it before. He is
attacking the paleo crowd for eating too much animal protein and too
few nuts. Has anyone here read the book?
Show Replies 1 Reply
Amy Bjorklund
Thu, 29 Dec 2016 11:33:46 -0800
thank you.

Amy Bjorklund
No Replies
Don Wiss
Wed, 28 Dec 2016 23:35:06 -0500
First we have Carrie Fisher dying of a heart attack at age 60. She
followed the low fat Jenny Craig diet. She was a spokesperson for it.
Then her mother, Debbie Reynolds, dies from a stroke at 84. She was a
follower of the extremely low fat, high carb Pritiken diet.

This journal is published by the group that puts on an annual conference:

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
Don Wiss
Thu, 15 Sep 2016 17:56:15 -0400
Written by Ben Balzer, MD

They're all wrong.
Debating over incomplete knowledge, no conclusion can ever be
reached. It's like debating pneumonia prior to identifying bacteria.
So it comes to opinion, a game in which persistence wins. And the
most persistent are those whose pay depends upon it. Academics get
paid if they fight or not. But they can get a lot of bonus by singing
for their supper.
No Replies
Don Wiss
Thu, 15 Sep 2016 14:31:55 -0400
This article is a rebuttal to the last article I sent. Written by a
Times reporter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/16/health/type-2-diabetes-low-carb-diet.html

Diabetes and Your Diet: The Low-Carb Debate
By GINA KOLATA SEPT. 15, 2016

A few years ago, Richard Kahn, the now-retired chief scientific and
medical officer of the American Diabetes Association, was charged
with organizing a committee to prescribe a diet plan for people with
diabetes. He began by looking at the evidence for different diets,
asking which, if any, best controlled diabetes.

[More ...]
No Replies
Don Wiss
Thu, 15 Sep 2016 05:56:43 -0400
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/11/opinion/sunday/before-you-spend-26000-on-weight-loss-surgery-do-this.html

Before You Spend $26,000 on Weight-Loss Surgery, Do This

By SARAH HALLBERG and OSAMA HAMDY SEPT. 10, 2016

Earlier this year, the Food and Drug
Administration approved a new weight-loss
procedure in which a thin tube, implanted in the
stomach, ejects food from the body before all the calories can be absorbed.

Some have called it "medically sanctioned
bulimia," and it is the latest in a desperate
search for new ways to stem the rising tides of
obesity and Type 2 diabetes. Roughly one-third of
adult Americans are now obese; two-thirds are
overweight; and diabetes afflicts some 29
million.

[More ...]
No Replies
Don Wiss
Mon, 12 Sep 2016 20:30:17 -0400
From:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html

How the Sugar Industry Shifted Blame to Fat

By ANAHAD O'CONNOR SEPT. 12, 2016

The sugar industry paid scientists in the 1960s to play down the link
between sugar and heart disease and promote saturated fat as the
culprit instead, newly released historical documents show.

The internal sugar industry documents, recently discovered by a
researcher at the University of California, San Francisco, and
published Monday in JAMA Internal Medicine, suggest that five decades
of research into the role of nutrition and heart disease, including
many of today's dietary recommendations, may have been largely shaped
by the sugar industry.

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
emiliano bussòlo
Thu, 21 Jul 2016 09:20:38 +0200
Hi everybody,

I've recently read that canned salmon has to be wild, due to the fact that
in the canning process they use smaller sized salmons, while farmed salmons
are "harvested" when they reach their maximum dimensions for obvious
economic reasons.

Is it a hoax? Can somebody confirm it?

thanks!

Emiliano

--
ZE-Light e ZE-Pro: servizi zimbra per caselle con dominio email.it, per tutti i dettagli
Clicca qui http://posta.email.it/caselle-di-posta-z-email-it/?utm_campaign=email_Zimbra_102014=main_footer/f

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Don Wiss
Tue, 5 Jul 2016 22:27:04 -0400
Cutting-Edge, Fat-Burning Performance Meal Plan: The Keto Diet
http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/truth-behind-worlds-most-cutting-edge-fat-burning-performance-meal-plan-keto
Show Replies 1 Reply
Sandy Rzetelny
Tue, 29 Mar 2016 18:11:59 -0400
Hi

My niece told me that she had heard that there was an ancient Human fossil found of a Paleo man who had arthritis. She was trying to prove to me that food didn't have to do with arthritis. I tried to find it on Google but wasn't successful.anyone know anything about this?. Thank you Sandy

[More ...]
Show Replies 5 Replies
Suzanne R
Mon, 15 Feb 2016 20:35:23 -0500
Thinking it's way too quiet out here, I thought I'd throw something in the ring in case of interest. Otherwise, where is everyone? Facebook?

Microbes and microbiomes ~ the new health frontier ~ in soils, plants, animals. Here's a free webinar opportunity to learn the basics, build a foundation of understanding and further improve nutrition and health. List Suzanne (me) as the one that let you know about it and if you can't make it "live" you'll receive the replay link. Feel free to share and bring your questions!

[More ...]
No Replies
Don Wiss
Sat, 6 Feb 2016 06:02:01 -0500
A friend that subscribes to the Paleo Magazine mailing list forwarded
an e-mail offer from PaleoDork. Apparently it is an e-mail list of
savings offers.

For a limited time you can get a Paleo Resource Package with a value
of over $1,000...For Free! Bundle includes: 62 E-Books, 26 Weeks of
Meal Plans & 5+ Hours of Video.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Don Wiss
Fri, 1 Jan 2016 14:30:20 -0500
It wasn't my intent. I have Google Alerts on "paleo diet." I read
some, and occasionally post comments. This hospital dietitian:
http://siouxcityjournal.com/nancy-rosston/image_4166a6b5-4ca0-5150-93f3-a55dad781f91.html

Posted an article titled "Sioux City dietitian says popular fad diets
are not sustainable"

I did write that she does not know much about the paleo diet. And I
questioned where she got her information. She wrote that the paleo
diet prohibits all root vegetables, including carrots. And that it
allows seeds, and she couldn't understand why grains were disallowed
if seeds weren't.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Tracey Baldrey
Sun, 27 Dec 2015 11:31:25 +0100
Seasons greetings to all and I hope you're all having a healthy and happy
Christmas.

I have a quick question. On a recent Dr Mercola video (he was demonstrating
one of his breakfast recipes) he mentioned that our ancestors would have
been consuming around 150 g of fibre per day. Assuming they didn't have
access to large quantities of chia, flax, hemp or psyllium - I wondered
where so much would have naturally come from? And what do people on this
list deem to be good sources of fibre in paleo terms?

[More ...]
Show Replies 16 Replies
Suzanne R
Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:30:14 -0400
Sharing multiple sources - FYI and seeking any additional info.

Erin, the author of HealthNutNews is Dr. Mercola's life partner.

http://www.healthnutnews.com/12th-holistic-doctor-found-dead-alleged-suicide
http://www.healthnutnews.com/5-chiropractors-die-in-car-accidents-3-in-june-3-single-car-accidents/

http://www.naturalnews.com/050582_nagalase_GcMAF_cancer_industry_profits.html

http://www.globalresearch.ca/u-s-government-agents-raid-research-facility-to-seize-breakthrough-cancer-treatment-gcmaf-doctor-found-dead-3-days-later/5465054

http://www.naturalnews.com/050553_Dr_Bradstreet_GcMAF_cancer_therapy.html

Looking up GcMAF (most of these (now dead) doctors including Nick Gonzalez and Dr. Bradstreet - along with many of the holistic doctors in FL - were researching or implementing this in their practices - people are having success curing or improving health conditions like autism and cancer especially in Europe). Perhaps pharmaceutical companies and the FDA would not want this to be implemented here in the US.
No Replies
Don Wiss
Sun, 11 Oct 2015 17:39:15 -0400
If I want an easy shrimp snack, or to include the shrimp in a salad
(say with avocado, raw spinach, etc), I don't defrost first. I just
microwave the frozen shrimp in a covered glass casserole dish. A
couple minutes, then stir. Then another minute. You will have to
experiment with the quantity (I weigh them) and your microwave. Do
short intervals -- like a minute at a time -- to figure yours out.
No Replies
Don Wiss
Sun, 11 Oct 2015 17:34:10 -0400
The wild caught Argentinia Red/Pink Shrimp is in at Trader Joe's.
Fully shelled for $9.99/lb, so hassle-free. This is the best deal
around. And the shrimp are much tastier than the wild brown shrimp
you can find elsewhere.

This is a seasonal item. It just came in last week. The season won't
last. This is the time to stock up.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jay Duncan
Wed, 29 Apr 2015 06:57:53 +1000
I DO NOT want to receive these e-mails anymore

Jay CMD
On 29/04/2015 1:46 am, "Shaun Hunter" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> The main problem I have is the fact that I'm on SSDI and live in a
> mixed-diet household ... and often, I'm "seduced" if that's the word, to
> cheap fixes for my diet. Anyone got a bunch of "cheaper" ideas for eating
> success?
> --- KC/Shaun

[More ...]
No Replies
Shaun Hunter
Tue, 28 Apr 2015 08:36:31 -0700

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:59:56 +0000
> From: "Day, Wally" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Absolutists on diet
>
> >The fundamental concepts I got out of Neanderthin were to avoid
> >dairy, grain (wheat, corn, rice, rye, and similar grass seeds), Potatoes,
> >and legumes.
>
> Keep in mind, though, that Ray got to that list by extrapolating from his
> baseline concept - "naked with a sharp stick"
>
> --------------------------

[More ...]
No Replies
Lawrence Tagrin
Mon, 29 Sep 2014 16:29:46 -0400
The fundamental concepts I got out of Neanderthin were to avoid dairy,
grain (wheat, corn, rice, rye, and similar grass seeds), Potatoes, and
legumes. That's what worked for me. Of course, after reading the labels
on all the food products, and getting rid of everything with corn syrup and
wheat, I wound up learning how to cook much better than before.

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
Suzanne R
Sun, 28 Sep 2014 12:32:04 -0400
Okra has seeds in it. Does that mean it is not allowed on Paleo?
Show Replies 5 Replies
Don Wiss
Tue, 23 Sep 2014 21:12:58 -0400
A short video:

Scientists Have Debunked These 5 Common Myths About Meat
http://www.businessinsider.com/myths-eating-red-meat-2014-8
No Replies
Don Wiss
Sat, 20 Sep 2014 14:51:12 -0400
The Paleo Lifestyle: The Way, Way, Way Back
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/fashion/the-paleo-lifestyle-the-way-way-way-back.html
No Replies
Don Wiss
Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:47:21 -0400
This is the food news of the week:
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/artificial-sweeteners-may-tip-scales-toward-metabolic-problems

You may have seen the articles. Of course, none of us here should be
eating any such man-made chemical. I can't imagine any man-made
chemical being good for us to eat.
No Replies
Don Wiss
Mon, 1 Sep 2014 20:14:38 -0400
A Call for a Low-Carb Diet
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html

"People who avoid carbohydrates and eat more fat, even saturated fat,
lose more body fat and have fewer cardiovascular risks than people
who follow the low-fat diet that health authorities have favored for
decades, a major new study shows."
No Replies
Don Wiss
Sun, 31 Aug 2014 22:29:56 -0400
I have been tipped off that the full article is here:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/evolution-of-diet/

I wonder why the discussion article did not link to it?
No Replies
Don Wiss
Sun, 31 Aug 2014 21:50:59 -0400
Where's the beef? Uncovering the ancient paleolithic diet in modern cultures

The September issue of National Geographic
examines the Paleo Diet as a way to feed the
planet's future generations ­ and offers a more
complete look at what our ancestors really ate.
Science writer Ann Gibbons joins Hari Sreenivasan
to discuss how the real Paleo Diet varies among cultures.

[More ...]
No Replies
Don Wiss
Mon, 4 Aug 2014 22:16:36 -0400
San Francisco Startup Chirping Over Its Cricket Flour; High-Protein
Insect Foods May Be On Cusp Of Wider Acceptance
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/08/04/san-francisco-bitty-foods-cricket-flour-cookies-insects-eating-protein-gluten-free-paleo-diet-megan-miller/
No Replies
Don Wiss
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 17:44:32 -0400
This article also mentions an article in The New Yorker:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wray-herbert/is-postpartum-depression_b_5618298.html

And it is online:

Stone Soup: How the Paleolithic life style got trendy
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/07/28/stone-soup
No Replies
Lawrence Tagrin
Sun, 20 Jul 2014 16:10:15 -0400

> I wonder how much of the success of Paleo is because of the elimination of
> *processed* carbs.
Show Replies 3 Replies
Don Wiss
Fri, 18 Jul 2014 21:36:35 -0400
Low carb Paleo-style diets beat low-fat for weight loss: Calorie myth debunked
http://www.examiner.com/article/time-magazine-debunks-calorie-myth-low-carb-paleo-style-diet-aids-weight-loss

The link to Time brings up the full article.

The examiner.com website has pro-paleo articles almost every day.
Another from today:

http://www.examiner.com/article/obesity-experts-low-carb-diet-should-be-first-line-of-defense-for-diabetes

---
Show Replies 1 Reply
Stevie
Thu, 26 Jun 2014 08:36:44 -0400
A podcast with Cordain talking about his changed viewpoint on canola oil
and saturated fats, among other things. Host is Abel James.

http://fatburningman.com/loren-cordain-the-paleo-diet-robb-wolf/

Stevie
No Replies
Don Wiss
Wed, 25 Jun 2014 21:09:41 -0400
The Real Paleo Diet
http://www.slate.com/blogs/wild_things/2014/06/25/neanderthal_feces_coprolite_study_shows_early_humans_ate_meat_and_vegetables.html
No Replies
Don Wiss
Tue, 24 Jun 2014 06:17:36 -0400
Loren Cordain has a free e-mail newsletter. It had been mostly
dormant. Recently he has been coming out with an issue almost every day.

Today's is:
http://thepaleodiet.com/flour-fortification-folic-acid-good-idea-bad-idea/
Show Replies 6 Replies
Don Wiss
Sat, 21 Jun 2014 14:05:23 -0400
The Wild Argentinean shrimp are back in at Trader Joe's. No tail
shells to remove. They are $8.99/lb. The best deal around. They are
not in stock all year long. So stock up the freezer now.

The Wild Blueberries are also in stock. Again these are not all year.

The organic mangoes from Peru are in. You don't want them when they
are from Ecuador. Those aren't ripe.

[More ...]
No Replies
Don Wiss
Mon, 16 Jun 2014 16:52:43 -0400
I was going to go out and buy the issue, just so I could copy the
article. Then I went down to get today's mail. And there the issue
was! I had forgotten that my tenants subscribe to Time.

Here it is: http://paleodiet.com/Time-Don%27tBlameFat.pdf

Please save a copy. Please do not distribute that link to anyone
else. You can e-mail them a copy.

[More ...]
Show Replies 4 Replies
Don Wiss
Sun, 15 Jun 2014 21:26:08 -0400
Low carb ketogenic diet helps epilepsy, MS, depression, cancer and weight loss
http://www.examiner.com/article/low-carb-high-fat-keto-diet-helps-epilepsy-ms-depression-cancer-weight-loss
No Replies
Don Wiss
Sat, 14 Jun 2014 23:28:11 -0400
Intermittent fasting follows Paleo diet principles for health and weight loss
http://www.examiner.com/article/intermittent-fasting-follows-paleo-diet-principles-for-health-and-weight-loss
No Replies
Don Wiss
Fri, 13 Jun 2014 21:20:50 -0400
A news report on the article:

War on saturated fat is over: Ketogenic, Atkins and Paleo diets get vindicated
http://www.examiner.com/article/saturated-fat-gets-vindicated-by-mainstream-media-on-stunning-time-cover

A preview of the article:

Ending the War on Fat
http://time.com/2863227/ending-the-war-on-fat/

You need to be a subscriber to read it all.
Show Replies 5 Replies
Diane Heath
Sat, 10 May 2014 12:22:52 -0700
This might be more on-topic than apparent at first glance, and I'm sure some of us have already seen or heard it. I hope everyone gets that opportunity!...
At the Taste3 conference, chef Dan Barber tells the story of a small farm in Spain that has found a humane way to produce foie gras. Raising his geese in a natural environment, farmer Eduardo Sousa embodies the kind of food production Barber believes in.
http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_barber_s_surprising_foie_gras_parable
Happy Mother's Day weekend, all!
Diane H.
No Replies
Don Wiss
Fri, 9 May 2014 16:21:29 -0400
I see it often. Some media commentator thinks they are a know-it-all
and comments on the paleo diet. Basically, if it doesn't agree with
what the establishment recommends, it is no good.

The Straight Dope: Cave Diet
http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/article-19133-cave-diet.html

There are so many inaccuracies I don't know where to start. I
encourage people here to comment and set him straight.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Don Wiss
Sat, 12 Apr 2014 00:46:56 -0400
Effective immediately, Yahoo users may no longer post to the
PaleoFood list. This is being done as many major ISPs are bouncing
back Listserv messages that are originating from Yahoo. The bounces
will then auto-delete all the subscribers at those many major ISPs.
That would wipe out about half the list subscribers.

Until further notice, Yahoo users must post from another e-mail address.
No Replies
Lawrence Tagrin
Mon, 7 Apr 2014 16:45:56 -0400
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/175e/?cpg=60978245&msg_id=60978245&et_rid=986700914&linkid=60978245_headline_175e
No Replies
Emiliano Bussòlo
Wed, 5 Mar 2014 15:33:20 +0100
TOOD: The more palatable foods are,
>the more fattening they are, due to a whole cascade of effects in the
>body. It's partly "they taste good so we eat more" but it's not just
>that.

That's very very interesting, but what exctly is this "whole cascade of effects"? could you please give us some reference?

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Diane Heath
Tue, 4 Mar 2014 17:40:48 -0800
With appreciation to June K. for her wonderful book recommendation (which I now have on reserve at my library), I just wanted to share this article written by the author (as I was looking to quantify the nutrition of my dinner tonight). On top of a green salad with a variety of crunchy vegetables, the liver was astounding.

[More ...]
No Replies
Janice Frasche
Tue, 4 Mar 2014 15:33:42 -0800
If you've missed some posts, Lsoft archives are available for
many lists. PaleoFood archives are found here...
http://listserv.icors.org/scripts/wa-ICORS.exe?A0=paleofood

You can scroll down a bit to find our current discussion archives
listed by month (and year).

If you have not used archives before, and if you want to read and
post from the web format, you need to establish your own login
password (also enables private replies).

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Paula
Tue, 4 Mar 2014 11:13:18 -0500
I liked his book also, June. Very comprehensive.
Lately I have read and gained good info from:
"Pottenger's Prophecy" about epigenetics - astounding facts about how we
turn on/off gene expression based on lifestyle.
"Pandora's Lunchbox" history about the perversion of our modern food supply
"Grain Brain" is the best book I have read about wheat, sugar, processed
foods
"Death by Food Pyramid" also gives historical info along with a lot more
about how to read science studies, etc.
Paula H.

[More ...]
No Replies
Hilary McClure
Sat, 1 Mar 2014 13:35:12 -0500
Book by Anthony Colpo. Kindle edition currently free on Amazon. I haven't
read it yet, but it looks like it should be of some interest. Colpo nemesis
Michael Eades even recommended it on his blog!

Hilary
No Replies
Jim Swayze
Fri, 28 Feb 2014 08:45:26 -0600
[Ron] Do you avoid fruits because today's fruits are likely more glycemic than pre-agricultural fruits? And what about vegetables? Do you avoid potatoes because they were not available to Europeans until about 500 years ago? And what about all the other vegetables that were not available to Europeans until recently? And what about meats? Do you avoid today's meats because they do not reflect the fat content of pre-agricultural game?

[More ...]
No Replies
Lawrence Tagrin
Wed, 26 Feb 2014 16:49:27 -0500
When I cut out grain, I first found it hard to try and find alternatives.
I have now replaced them with a number of products that work for me.

To replace potatoes in purees and mashes I use green plantains. The starch
in them is apparently much less quickly assimilated and has a much better
nutritional profile than potatoes or similar products. I also use a
combination of plantain flour, flaxseed meal, and almond flour as a base to
make a bread substitute, I can alter the percentages and add coconut flour
to get a sweeter bread.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Diane Heath
Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:54:39 -0800
Thought-worthy...?? http://grist.org/food/michael-pollan-explains-whats-wrong-with-the-paleo-diet/

Regards to all,
Diane H.
Show Replies 3 Replies
Don Wiss
Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:23:28 -0500
I got a call back from the seafood wholesaler. They had to call the
alligator vendor. The alligators are fed protein powder and corn. I'll pass.
No Replies
Don Wiss
Sun, 23 Feb 2014 07:27:14 -0500
A little clarification from my last post.

Fruit has the strategy of wanting animals to eat their fruit, but to
not digest the seed. The seeds then pass through the digestive system
and get deposited at a new location, along with a clump of fertilizer.

Many plants that have berries also have thorns. This is to deter
animals, but allow birds to get to the berries. Their seeds are very
small. They pass through a bird's digestive system, but get digested
in animals.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
WAYNE WYNN
Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:13:43 -0700
A lay person's related thoughts, with no claim to being scientific, and not wanting to start an argument or long thread:

* directly or indirectly, everybody is somebody else's lunch.
* plants may have feelings
* fungi may have more intelligence, "feelings", etc. than plants
* we may be eating more meat than we need for our current lifestyles
* natural selection may move humans to needing less food from animals
* there is no completely vegetarian society; some eat insects, e.g.

[More ...]
Show Replies 4 Replies
Tracey Baldrey
Sat, 22 Feb 2014 22:32:04 +0100
Hi all

I've been a lurker on this list for at least a year or so now, so I thought
that it's about time that I finally introduced myself.

I'm Tracey, living in the Netherlands with hubby and children. Diet-wise
we're kind of a cross between Weston Price and Paleo (ie, we use some grains
but I soak everything in whey beforehand).

[More ...]
Show Replies 24 Replies