CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Richer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 14:01:56 -0600
Apparently, the competing origins of the word "pom" (a primarily
Australian slang term for a British person, usually used in a derogatory
fashion) are:

1) When England shipped convicts to Australia the letters "POHM" (or
something similar) were printed on their backs ("Prisoners of His
Majesty")

2) From the word "pomegranate" -- either because the color of the ripe
fruit resembles the (white) British complexion (especially when subjected
to long periods of relatively intense solar radiation), OR, because it was
rhyming slang for "immigrant."

According to urban legend enthusiasts, the second is more likely. See e.g.

http://www.snopes2.com/language/acronyms/pommy.htm

-Mark