GSTALT-L Archives

An ICORS List

GSTALT-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Philippson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
An ICORS List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2024 19:41:21 +0000
From Wikipedia:

*Modernism* is a philosophical <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy>,
religious <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modernism_in_the_Catholic_Church>,
and art movement <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_movement> that arose
from broad transformations in Western society
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world> during the late 19th and
early 20th centuries. The movement reflected a desire for the creation of
new forms of art, philosophy, and social organization which reflected the
newly emerging industrial world
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_society>, including features such
as urbanization <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanization>, architecture,
new technologies, and war. Artists attempted to depart from traditional
forms of art, which they considered outdated or obsolete. The poet Ezra
Pound <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezra_Pound>'s 1934 injunction to "Make
it New" was the touchstone of the movement's approach.

Modernist innovations included abstract art
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_art>, the stream of consciousness
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_of_consciousness> novel, montage
cinema <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montage_(filmmaking)>, atonal
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atonality> and twelve-tone
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-tone_technique> music, divisionist
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divisionism> painting and modern architecture
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_architecture>.

Which bit of this had any particular connection with Hitler and Stalin?

Peter

--
Peter (Philippson)