PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

To subscribe fill out this questionnaire and send to: PaleoDiet-request@listserv.icors.org Name: Title: Institution: Preferred E-mail Address: Phone Number (administrative use only): Research Areas: Other Areas of Interest: Questions about this LISTSERV can be directed to one of the following listowners. Contact should be in the order shown.
Show Table of Contents

Balzer, Ben
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:16:00 +1000
Dear Paleodiet Listowner and fellow members,

As maelstrom will close its mailing list service in January, I would like to
offer an alternative free service for you.

I have recently investigated mailing list software for Trevor Beard and the
low salt crowd with a satisfactory conclusion.
Mailman software is pretty much the universal standard for university mail
lists now. Major-domo is going out. I have a couple of other web lists now
on a Mailman server and it is satisfactory but does not have a search
option. The admin interface is simple to use. I am getting the service free

[More ...]
Show Replies 4 Replies
D Dawson
Mon, 17 May 2004 17:33:08 -0400
Ben wrote:

> I enquire whether members of the list might have information as to
> whether any hunter gatherers have been documented to consume the
> thyroid gland of prey.
>
> Iodine has the most profound effect of any single factor on IQ:
> iodine deficiency reduces IQ an average of 13.5 or 15 points

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Balzer, Ben
Mon, 17 May 2004 18:29:58 +1000
Dear All
I enquire whether members of the list might have any information as to
whether any hunter gatherers have been documented to consume the thyroid
gland of prey.

Iodine has the most profound effect of any single factor on IQ- iodine
deficiency reduces IQ an average of 13.5 or 15 points depending on which
authority one reads. This is sufficient to triple the number of children
with mild developmental delay and increase 7 fold those with severe
developmental delay (by simple consideration of leftward displacement of the
IQ curve by 15 points). http://www.who.int/nut/idd.htm

[More ...]
Show Replies 3 Replies
ME Wood
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:56:23 +1200
Dear List
I have suddenly started getting the list again.
I don't know if it is of interest but since I have food sensitivities
which make it advisable I don't eat grains or potatoes or related
roots.
I haven't for a long time now. My doctor thinks I am young looking and
basically very healthy.( recently became 66yrs old)

[More ...]
No Replies
Mandi Smallhorne
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:20:02 +0200
A recent Nature article (18 March) refers to concerns about safety of low-carb diets:
'One recent review of the safety of low-carbohydrate diets reeled off an alarming list of potential problems: "Complications such as heart arrhythmias, cardiac contractile function impairment, sudden death, osteoporosis, kidney damage, increased cancer risk, impairment of physical activity and lipid abnormalities can all be linked to long-term restriction of carbohydrates in the diet."'

[More ...]
Show Replies 3 Replies
Andrew Millard
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:26:39 +0000
Interesting, but tantalising in places Nature feature on scientific
studies of slimming. It's pretty equivocal about any advantage of
low-carb diets over high-carb diets for weight loss.

>>QUOTE
Science of dieting: Slim pickings
The dieting industry is a massive money-spinner. Yet across the
developed world, waistlines continue to expand. In this free feature,
Declan Butler examines the sparse evidence behind the claims made
for leading diet plans.
http://info.nature.com/cgi-bin24/DM/y/eOOC0BfdPV0Ch0JvN0Al
<<ENDQUOTE

[More ...]
No Replies
Roland Rohde
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:03:36 -0500
Hi,

I would like to direct the attention of the l
ist members to a paper (1) that closes a crucial
gap in our understanding of the sequence of metabolic
events finally resulting in diabetic blindness.

There is growing evidence that an accumulation
of omega-6 fatty acids and especially their
elevated blood levels (free fatty acids, FFAs)
are causative factors in the development of
endothelium dependent vascular diseases (1,2).

[More ...]
No Replies
Liza May
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:37:26 -0500
BOSTON (Reuters Health) Oct 27 - The high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet
often recommended for morbidly obese patients with fatty liver disease
is associated with increased liver inflammation, physicians at Johns
Hopkins Medical Institutions report.

Conversely, high fat diets were associated with a lower risk for
inflammation, according to study results presented at the 54th Annual
Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Liza May
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:48:25 -0500
New Clue on Which Came First, Tools or Better Diets
By JOHN NOBLE WILFORD

Published: October 21, 2003

The discovery in Ethiopia of stone tools almost 2.6 million years old
could help resolve a debate over human brain size, diet and toolmaking.

On a hillside in the badlands of Ethiopia, an ancestral home of the
human family, an international team of scientists has uncovered the
earliest known stone tools to be found mixed with fragments of
fossilized animal bones. The scientists think the material, almost 2.6
million years old, is the strongest evidence yet that the primal
technology was used

[More ...]
No Replies
Liza May
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:18:07 -0400
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2003 Sep;136(1):35-46

'Cooking as a biological trait'

Wrangham R, Conklin-Brittain N.

Department of Anthropology, Harvard University, Peabody Museum, 11
Divinity Avenue, MA 02138, Cambridge, USA

No human foragers have been recorded as living without cooking, and
people who choose a 'raw-foodist' life-style experience low energy and
impaired reproductive function. This suggests that cooking may be
obligatory for humans. The possibility that cooking is obligatory is
supported by calculations suggesting that a diet of raw food could not
supply sufficient calories for a normal hunter-gatherer lifestyle. In
particular, many plant foods are too fiber-rich

[More ...]
No Replies
Liza May
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 23:15:16 -0400
Archaeologists believe they may have stumbled upon a major Stone Age
site - on the route of a new bypass. The site dates back between
250,000 and 300,000 years and may even provide evidence of one of the
earliest uses of fire.

Archaeologists discovered a range of items at the location in Harnham,
near Salisbury in Wiltshire, including 44 "very rare" flint hand axes -
the earliest form of tool used by man.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bob Avery
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 00:45:19 -0400
Paleolithic diet, sweet potato eaters, and potential renal acid load
Thomas Remer and Friedrich Manz
Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2003 78(4): p. 802-803
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/78/4/802?ct
No Replies
Bob Avery
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 23:11:42 -0400
There are several important, only recently understood, and not yet widely
appreciated, points to be made about vitamin D:
Healthy/desirable levels are much higher than was thought. Laboratory
reference ranges for 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) are still stated at
around 40-100 nmol l-1. But people who live in equatorial regions, and
spend much of their days in the sunlight (farmers and lifeguards, for
instance), consistently show levels over 100 nmol l-1, and even above 200
nmol l-1. Because humanity evolved in such an environment, it is clear
that the vitamin D exposure that parallels the ‘Stone Age diet’, as the
environment

[More ...]
No Replies
Liza May
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:19:07 -0400
WASHINGTON (Reuters) --A non-human molecule found in red meat and milk
makes its way into the human system when eaten -- and seems to build up
especially in tumors, U.S. researchers reported on Monday.

The compound, called sialic acid, is found on the surfaces of animal
cells but is not found in people, and may be one reason why
animal-to-human organ and tissue transplants do not work well. Animals
have a version called Neu5Gc, while humans carry Neu5Ac.

[More ...]
Show Replies 9 Replies
Liza May
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:57:18 -0400
Public release date: 22-Sep-2003
Contact: Joel Schwarz
206-543-2580
University of Washington

Bones from French cave show Neanderthals, Cro-Magnon hunted same prey

A 50,000-year record of mammals consumed by early humans in southwestern
France indicates there was no major difference in the prey hunted by
Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon, according to a new study. The paper,
published in the online Journal of Archaeological Science, counters the
idea proposed by some scientists that Cro-Magnon, who were physically
similar to modern man, supplanted Neanderthals because they were more
skilled hunters as a result of some evolutionary physical or mental
advantage.

[More ...]
No Replies
Tamsin O'Connell
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:37:56 +0100
Dear all,

Much as I enjoy the lively discussion going on, can I just suggest that we
all move away from the 'individual as proof of a theory' idea?

Bob Avery writes:
> What's likely to "fall back" are your gum lines when you eat it. In 10
> years of all raw, I have had NO new cavities or any increase in
> periodontal disease, yet my teeth are full of existing holes from my
> prior cooked diet. I believe that cooked food is the primary cause of
> dental caries, which is certainly not a natural occurrence.

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
Balzer, Ben
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:20:13 +1000
Resent as it got lost in cyberspace

Dana

I tell people the liver is the "juicer" rather than the filter.
Physiologically it certainly has both roles and "juicer" sounds nicer and
helps explain its huge content of mineral vitamins and other micronutrients.
The toxin aspect makes it particularly important to look at the farming
method and pasture fed will be much superior (esp. if organic). Grain fed
meat requires more antibiotics and other chemicals and also is more prone to
liver abscesses etc, and it has an inferior profile of vitamins minerals and
other nutrients (see e.g. www.eatwild.com )

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Andrew Millard
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 10:45:06 +0100
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Barry Groves wrote:

> Bob Avery said
> >
> > Is there any proof that all or most of the Earth was ever covered in ice?

In short: No.

> Is there any doubt? When there was so much water stored in ice that sea
> levels were low enough for animals and humans to walk between what is now
> mainland Europe and the British Isles, then I submit that the whole globe
> must have been considerably cooler than it is today.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bob Avery
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:08:20 -0400
This article poses some interesting challenges to the paleodiet
nutritional theory, based primarily on comparative anatomy and
physiology.

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/030700pumeatinthehumandiet.htm

Comments anyone?

Bob Avery
Show Replies 7 Replies
Ed Blonz
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:55:00 -0700
If we accept that "you are what you eat (and absorb)" this makes ratios are
questionable value given the fact that the diet of the now-domesticated
animals has changed radically. Beneficial lipids and minor excipients in
the muscle, bone and fat of wild grazing animals are no longer there, having
been replaced by uniformity born of a grain-based finishing diet.
Show Replies 1 Reply
M Darby
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:29:58 -0700
re: " With long cold winters
and short cool summers, for most of the year there would have been very
little plant material to eat." Barry Groves

Sagittari latifolia (wapato) is a wetland plant that produces a tuber that
was and is available and harvestable from about now (September) through
April in the Northwest part of the US. This plant was prolific during the
last Ice Age in North America, the North American Great Basin, Siberia and
Northern Europe according to pollen data. It is a 'pioneering' species of
wetland plant that occupied newly open areas as the ice receded.

[More ...]
No Replies
Todd Caldecott
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:46:14 -0600
Hello folks,

i was reviewing Cordain's food pyramid:

http://www.paleofood.de/ENGPaleo/ENGPyramids/engpyramids.html

and contemplating the impact upon patient health and compliance, I
thought that it would be interesting and helpful to get your feedback
upon what y'all think of what proportions of different foods should
comprise of the diet. Because most folks don't pay all that much
attention the specific caloric content of their diet, and nor do most
actually weigh out the foods they eat, I usually recommend dietary
components in basic proportions (i.e portions of the proverbial pie):
it makes it easier for patients to actual visualize what to eat.
According

[More ...]
Show Replies 13 Replies
Liza May
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 16:42:21 -0400
Meat eating is an old human habit

19:00 03 September 03

Humans evolved beyond their vegetarian roots and became meat-eaters at
the dawn of the genus Homo, around 2.5 million years ago, according to a
study of our ancestors' teeth.

In 1999, researchers found cut marks on animal bones dated at around 2.5
million years old. But no one could be sure that they were made by
meat-eating hominids, because none appeared to have suitable teeth.

[More ...]
No Replies
Ursula Thanheiser
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:07:57 +0200
Maybe the French are rather looking for quality and variety instead of quantity.
Show Replies 8 Replies
Liza May
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:01:08 -0400
Dana W. Carpender wrote:
>I had a debate on a totally
> non-nutrition-related newsgroup recently because one of the
> posters came up with the old canard about liver being
> unhealthy because it's "the filter of the body" -- as if
> livers were like oil filters, and all the toxins just stayed
> in them.

[More ...]
No Replies
Todd Moody
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:23:04 -0400
Note that the recent message concerning root vegetables was written by
Ben Balzer but forwarded to the list by me while Ben's new mail address
was pending approval.

Todd Moody
moderator
No Replies
Tamsin O'Connell
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:50:16 +0100
So, the old chestnut: are humans adapted to be carnivores or omnivores? I
have to conclude, looking at all the evidence, that I believe that we are
definitely omnivores. My responses to the number of points made are below.

1. Gut shape etc
Our gut is NOT that of a carnivore (pace Barry Groves) or herbivore
(folivore) in terms of proportion. For the best discussion of this area,
see work by Katharine Milton, with an excellent essay in the fantastic
book by Harris and Ross (1987). Food & Evolution: Towards a Theory of
Human Food Habits. The most similar guts

[More ...]
No Replies
Tamsin O'Connell
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:45:19 +0100
Just want to say everyone, that after a long silence on the Palaeolithic
Diet symposium, what a great discussion this is.
Have decided that I am going to reply to lots of points raised by
different people in two emails, separated by subject, as otherwise we are
getting longer and longer messages with things copied in. I shall reply to
Ed Thompson's more specific email re his and my views in another, so
everyone can skip that if too bored or not enough time!

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
Don Wiss
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:37:35 -0400
When people look for reasons for the French Paradox they look for what they
are adding to their diet to get protective benefits. Todd Moody suggests
they are eating more organ meats and root vegetables. Recent news article
suggest it comes from their drinking red wine. This focus on what to add
probably comes from a marketing mentality. If we can just find what it is
we can sell it to everybody else.

[More ...]
No Replies
Todd Moody
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:35:26 -0400
Perhaps the French eating more organ meats and root vegetables is part of
their better health. Also for the Greeks. Organ meats and root vegetables
are strongly featured in hunter gatherer diets- I strongly encourage them as
firstly I suspect they are important to good health and secondly I don't
like Paleo diets being diets of exclusion- if one concentrates too much on
what NOT to eat one gets monotony, so these give us some room to broaden the
diet (even if many people find turnips and liver unappetising, that is their
freedom to choose). I was never able to

[More ...]
No Replies
Edward Thompson
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:10:02 -0500
Reply to Tamsin (see below for my response to some points made)…

Tamsin: … I am afraid that yes for a lot of people, it really is that
simple. In a world where 200million people are obese, with all the
consequent health risks that this entails, and with an increasingly
sedentary lifestyle in the developed world, taking in any amount of
essential fatty acids and fish oils is not going to do as much for you as
adjusting one's energy balance: eating less or exercising more as a first
step to improving health will do more good as a whole

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Edward Thompson
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:18:11 -0500
Comments on the following draft (already sent; waiting for editor's reply)
are welcome.

---------begin draft-----------

LETTER TO THE EDITOR (Scientific American magazine):

An Unscientific American?

On the surface of it, and from the standpoint of informing public health
policy and/or research direction, the article by Leonard ("Food for
Thought") published in the 'Human Evolution' Special Edition issue appears
to be strikingly uninformative. This perception is perhaps best
illustrated and verified by a take-away message from the article that
appears as a bullet point on page 65:

[More ...]
Show Replies 16 Replies
Balzer, Ben
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:44:17 +1000
http://www.sciam.com/special/toc.cfm?issueid=11&sc=rt_nav_list

Scientific American have a special on human evolution which has something to
offend just about everybody.

There are article on many aspects including diet, childbirth etc. I haven't
read much of it yet, but thought I'd post it up as it won't be on the news
stands much longer.

The article on "if humans were built" to last focuses on the (totally
incorrect) assumptions of western medicine that diseases like osteoporosis
and osteoarthritis are inevitable (and presumably of genetic origin). Indeed
I thought the paleopathological evidence was clear that osteoarthritis was
rare (aside from in a spear throwing elbow

[More ...]
Show Replies 4 Replies
Todd Moody
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:03:40 -0400
Some members of this list are aware that I am the new moderator,
but for those who do not know it, this is a brief introduction.

Unlike just about everyone else on the list, I do not have any
credentials in the relevant areas of nutrition, physiology,
anthropology, etc. My Ph.D. is in philosophy, which I teach at
St. Joseph's University in Philadelphia. As far as the
subject-matter of the list is concerned, I am strictly an
auto-didact. As moderator, my only claim to competence is that I
have some understanding of what is and isn't professional-level
discourse.

[More ...]
No Replies
Roland Rohde
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 08:25:09 +0200
Ed,

I've some comments on the potassium (K+) and acid/base discussion.

One of the first lessons every medical student has to learn is about the
sensitivity of the blood K+ -level. The correct function of many
physiologic systems severely depends on it, especially the rhythm of the
heart contraction. If he doesn't, he will have to learn it the hard way:
you can kill a laboratory animal (or a patient) very efficiently and fast
by carelessly playing around with K+ - containing infusions. Another
clinical experience is that the only reliable method to bring a high K+
-level down is

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
Roland Rohde
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 08:12:58 +0200
Ben,

the $4000 lion story is a nice one.

Anyway I would very strongly support the concept of liver as an essential
nutrient for man, too. There surely are many vitamins and trace elements
contained in liver that make it a complement to meat (and milk in babies).
And there are continuously discovered new vitamin-like constituents, like
the RXR-receptor hormone phytanic acid [1,2].

[More ...]
No Replies
Tamsin O'Connell
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:35:29 +0100
Dear all,

I have two lines of contribution to the discussion on high protein diets,
in which I have tried to summarize what is in some of the literature.

Firstly, from a metabolic point of view, is there a maximum limit on
protein intake by the body? If one considers the physiological outcome of
eating protein, Ben Balzer is right in that it is the body's rate of
production of urea that is the primary limiting factor. Excess intake of
nitrogen leads in a short space of time to hyperammonaeia, which is a
build up of ammonia in the bloodstream,

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Edward Thompson
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:58:27 -0500
Ben,

I am interested in your proposed concept regarding organ meats and the
dietary protein ceiling. It is my understanding that urea formation is the
limiting physiological factor (as you had mentioned earlier). If urea
formation was at its maximum, additional protein channeling into catabolic
pathways would theoretically yield an increase in ammonia production
(neurotoxic). It is also my understanding that the only way to curtail
urea formation, at least in a physiological sense, is to curtail net
protein catabolism. This would require a close match between dietary
protein intake and anabolism/maintenance of tissue proteins (protein
deposition into tissues, such

[More ...]
No Replies
Todd Moody
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 07:38:07 -0400
This list has been quiet. I have a question about the following
assertion, "The coastal diet composition
was nearly all animal foods, mostly seafood with some birds and
kangaroo, and was approximately 80% protein, 20% fat, and less
than 5% carbohydrate." It is based on the following research:
O'Dea K (1984) "Marked improvement in carbohydrate and lipid
metabolism in diabetic Australian aborigines after temporary
reversion to traditional lifestyle." Diabetes, vol. 33, no. 6
(Jun.), pp. 596-603.

[More ...]
No Replies
Ed Jacobson
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:10:30 -0500
As I understand, pre-agricultural man was taller than modern man. I
understand that the transition to agriculture is largely responsible for
this, with the three important factors being: 1) the mineral blocking
effects of the phytates in grains; 2) the decrease in animal protein and
bone building vitamins A and D that are found in animal fats; and 3)
decrease in calories consumed per person as the population grew (including
periodic famine due to lack of reliable harvests).
In the last 100 years, at least in Western societies, we have recovered
much of that height. Why?
1) Are we eating

[More ...]
No Replies
Jennie Brand Miller
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:29:13 +1000
Dear Andre,

I have an interest in the subject because the young infant's
dependence on exogenous Fe is very high. It provides another argument
to support the hypothesis that meat must have played an important
role in paleolithic diets. There must have been more than enough
meat if even infants got to share the spoils.

[More ...]
No Replies
Ray Audette
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:01:02 -0500
VilhjalmurStefansson talks of the feeding of Inuit infants and children in
several of his books. Their traditional children's food was fish-head soup.
The heads of Arctic fish have large fat deposits so this food is very
caloriticly dense. My own son Gray-Hawk (now 5) weaned himself after his
first year and would eat almost nothing but pemmican for about a year after
that.

[More ...]
No Replies
Andre' Briend
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:56:46 +0200
Dear all,

First a few words to introduce myself.

I am a MD (Paris) with a PhD in nutrition, working for the last 20 years +
on problems of infant and child feeding in developing countries. I am now
involved in the development of foods for treatment / prevention of child
malnutrition.

I became interested in paleo diet after reading several papers on the
subject (discussing mainly its implications on prevention of chronic
diseases related to affluence in adults) which also led me to question the
"traditional" approach to feeding children. It is widely believed that
children aged 4 to

[More ...]
No Replies
John Macgregor
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:53:44 +1000
My article on palaeolithic exercise will be published in New Scientist on
July 29.

It's been re-written by the editors in 'magazinese', but many of the basic
facts on evolutionary patterns of human exercise remain.

My thanks to those who helped with input - particularly Art De Vany and
Loren Cordain.

John Macgregor
No Replies
Sean Mcbride
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 01:00:22 -0400
Thanks Loren for your detailed reply to my question regarding carbohydrates.
I apologise for the delay in replying.
Your response clarified a question for me. As I stated in my last post,
Gould (1966), observed that a 97-lb (44kg) kangaroo yielded only 4 ounces
(114g)of removable fat. Assuming for the sake of argument that the useable
carcass is around 65% of the total weight (Cordain et al. 2000:685)(although
I suspect a kangaroo would produce a higher useable weight than an
ungulate). So, we're looking at about 29kg of meat with 114g of fat. It
would be unlikely for one individual

[More ...]
No Replies
Dan Petersson
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:35:16 +0200
Richard Keene and Bob Avery have brought to my attention an upcoming article
in the June 20 issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences:

Michael P. Richards, Paul B. Pettitt, Erik Trinkaus, Fred H. Smith, Maja
Paunovic, and Ivor Karavanic; Neanderthal diet at Vindija and Neanderthal
predation: The evidence from stable isotopes

[More ...]
No Replies
Sean Mcbride
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 01:51:56 -0400
I am a bit confused about the whole carbohydrate issue. It appears that most
hunter-gatherers utilised some form of concentrated carbohydrate, whether it
be yams, seeds, rootstarch or whatever. (The arctic peoples used fat as an
alternative since carbohydrate was scarce, as did the people of Pacific
Northwest America).
There seem to be four reasons for including carbohydrate resources in the
human diet. One is to counteract (offset might be a better word) high levels
of protein from animal resources (if animal resources are abundant). The
second reason is to spare protein from being converted into energy which is
an

[More ...]
No Replies
Dan Petersson
Tue, 23 May 2000 10:45:43 +0200
Moderator's note: message from Michael J Rae, [log in to unmask]

All:

There's been a fair amont of research over the last few years into the
absorption and retention of members of the vitamin E complex. The
"alpha-tocoherol transfer protein" is an hepatic mechanism whereby the body
conserves a-tocopherol preferrentially by incorporating it actively into
LDL; not only are other tocoperols not conserved by ATTP, but gamma
tocopherol is actually prefe-rentially excreted as well, as part of a blood
pressure regulating measure (the metabolite, LLU-alpha, into which g-toco is
degraded before excretion is a natriuretic factor).

[More ...]
No Replies
Liza May
Fri, 12 May 2000 09:17:45 -0400
Earliest Pleistocene Hominid Cranial Remains from Dmanisi, Republic
of Georgia: Taxonomy, Geological Setting, and Age

Leo Gabunia, Abesalom Vekua, David Lordkipanidze, Carl C. Swisher
III, Reid Ferring, Antje Justus, Medea Nioradze, Merab
Tvalchrelidze, Susan C. Antón, Gerhard Bosinski, Olaf Jöris,
Marie-A.-de Lumley, Givi Majsuradze,and Aleksander Mouskhelishvili

Science May 12 2000: 1019-1025.

--
Liza May, M.S.
Email: [log in to unmask]

Otherwise search for Am J Clin Nutr 2000 Cordain at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/
No Replies
Ben Balzer
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:01:40 -0500
I would like to bring to your attention the publication of the following
paper in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in March 2000. I
believe it is an important milestone in paleolithic/hunter-gatherer
nutrition, and recommended it to all interested parties. (The moderator may
prefer to approach Professor Cordain for comment).

Loren Cordain, Janette Brand Miller, S Boyd Eaton, Neil Mann, Susanne HA
Holt, and John D Speth
Plant-animal subsistence ratios and macronutrient energy estimations in
worldwide hunter-gatherer diets
Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71:682-692.
http://www.ajcn.org/content/vol71/issue3/

[More ...]
No Replies
Luis Alberto Vargas
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 17:50:26 -0600
This is a question from Instituto de Investigaciones Antropologicas in
Mexico City. Our archaeologists are studying ancient floors from
Teotihuacan, some of them are made of dirt and others of stucco. So far
they have been able to identify food remains by analyzing remains of seeds,
pollen, phytolites, and some inorganic indirect tracers such as phosphorus.
They are now planning to simulate ancient house floors and see how food
remains are preserved, and how their remains can be identified. Has any of
you done similar studies, or have an idea of other remains that should be
sought?
No Replies
Charles Hunt
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 12:56:06 -0800
Dear Family, Friends and Associates,

Thank you so much for your love and support going into this unexpected emergent situation with my heart last week. I don't have the words to adequately express my gratitude for all the kindnesses you sent. It has really, really helped~

On the healing front, I'm back from UCLA Medical Center and on the mend back at home now after surgery last Friday... also off the narcotic pain killers so I can put two words together again without slurring and finally answer your e-mails...can't drive for 2 weeks and have to hold off on weightlifting

[More ...]
No Replies
Dan Petersson
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 20:50:06 +0100
In my ambition to stimulate discussion, I fear some posts have been accepted which perhaps should not have been. To be more specific, the thread on the evolution of intelligence initiated by Ben Balzer has been too speculative in tone for this forum. To avoid this escalating into something that could harm the general tone of this list, no further posts in that thread will be published. If anyone has any suggestions where that discussion could continue, I will forward them to the list.

[More ...]
No Replies
Ray Audette
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 03:26:02 -0600
Luke Barr will be the author of an article about Paleolithic Nutrition in
the April issue of this very popular men's fashion magazine. He is
interested in hearing from those who can provide scientific information for
this article.

This is your chance to de-bunk the mis-information that has surrounded this
way of eating since low-carb diets became popular in the mid 19th century.
Please respond to:

[More ...]
No Replies
Todd Moody
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:31:29 -0500
Seely's research [1,2] found a strong correlation
between milk intake and heart disease, but interestingly that
correlation was not present for cheese, considered separately
from dairy intake as a whole. I am wondering if this could be
because cheese is relatively high in dairy fat, which is a source
of conjugated lineoleic acid. CLA apparently has
anti-atherogenic (and anti-carcinogenic) properties. But if that
is so, wouldn't the protective effect be even stronger for
butter?

[More ...]
No Replies
M E Wood
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 16:01:54 +1300
If a mere lurker may suggest. We don't know there wasn't an ozone hole
in the past!
Volcanoes can cause some depletion in ozone and volcanoes have been
very active in some parts of the period of human development.
There has been global warming and cooling. Some very cold periods which
were coterminous with drought conditions which suggest changes in
vegetation and therefore in the distribution of herd animals.
There are sites which deal with vegetational change, my favourite is
Jonathan Adams'
http://www.esd.ornl.gov/projects/qen/nerc.html
This could result in humans either competing for scarcer resources or
scattering further a field.
M E

[More ...]
No Replies
Dick Dawson
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 17:21:29 -0500
On Ben Balzer's email:

I read the core point that competing intelligence of a species is a
factor in selection for gain in intelligence.

I must add: I've read that some sociologists claim actual fertility
of our highest mental level functioning citizens is lower than
average. We note that professional workers tend to have smaller
numbers of children than average.

[More ...]
No Replies
Ben Balzer
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 18:36:33 +1100
This is an original theory of mine that hasn't been published as yet- I
thought I'd bounce it around.

Intelligence, like all animal attributes, is subject to evolutionary
pressures. Evolution occurs on the basis of survival advantage for
particular attributes, often in response to an environmental stress or
opportunity. There is also a limit as to the amount of the evolution
depending on the degree of the stress or opportunity. For example, giraffes
have evolved a long neck and great height and this gives them an advantage
in foraging from tall trees. If, however, there were no trees in their

[More ...]
No Replies
Dan Petersson
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 07:35:37 +0100
The Paleodiet list has been very quiet lately, which probably has prompted some of you to wonder if it has silently passed away. This is not the case. Due to other commitments, Dean Esmay has not been able to actively moderate the Paleodiet list the past months, which has caused some lag. After discussions between him and co-owners Loren Cordain, Staffan Lindeberg, and Don Wiss, it was decided that I should assume the responsibility of the daily management of the list. As list creator, Dean Esmay will retain a moderator emeritus role. There will certainly be more than one time

[More ...]
No Replies
Jennie Brand Miller
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 17:44:49 -0400
Steve McBride asked two questions which I can help answer:

1. Can anyone point me to data that disputes protein as an aggravator of
renal disease in man?

My understanding of this issue is that dietary protein does not CAUSE renal
disease but that in the presence of renal disfunction (as often occurs as a
complication of diabetes), some experts believe that high protein diets
will aggravate it. However, when put to the test, there is conflicting
evidence. A point of difference is the definition of high vs low protein
diets. I'm sorry I don't have time at present to

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 17:40:09 -0400
Loren sent me this interesting URL a few days ago, I'm just getting 'round
to catching up on my old email.

http://www.discovery.com/exp/mammoth/dispatch.html

It's not really directly related to our list subject, but it's a
fascinating and exciting discovery that I suspect most of our members would
enjoy reading about. I also find myself wondering if in a decade or three
I might not be able to order wooly mammoth steak from my favorite
restaurant. An amusing thought, anyway.

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:17:09 -0400
An interesting page recommended by Allen E. Gale:

http://home.infospace.com/cancer10
No Replies
Steve McBride, DVM
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 17:23:06 -0400
Greetings:

I just wanted to briefly introduce myself. I am a veterinarian in private
practice that has been recently introduced to the subject of paleonutrition.
My undergraduate education is in physics and biology at Notre Dame University
and my DVM is from Michigan State University. I have broadened my interest in
nutrition from primarily that of our canine and feline friends, to human
nutrition. I stumbled across this current forum after reading NeanderThin by
Ray Audette and doing some research on the internet. I am familiar with
movements in pet circles to return to their native diets (BARF diet --

[More ...]
No Replies
Don and Rachel Matesz
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 09:39:16 -0500
---
Don and Rachel Matesz <[log in to unmask]>
Next Generation Nutrition. (419) 476-2967

Wrt the article on cooked vegetables "Early humans got smart by cooking
veggies, study says": This idea that we got smart by cooking vegetables,
not by hunting and meat eating, may be politically correct, but it is
illogical and biochemically incredible. Here are my reasons:

[More ...]
No Replies
Ray Audette
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 03:41:49 -0500

> "We strongly suspect hominids began using fire about 1.9 million years
ago,
> when Homo erectus appeared," he added

This is also the time that many other species increased in size to take
advantage of vast areas of steppe-tundra. These species were collectively
known as the Pleistocene Megafauna. Hominids had to evolve into a mega form
to take advantage of this new enviroment. Game of all kinds existed in this
enviroment in densities unknown in historical times and far surpassing the
original tropical grassland enviroment of the original hominids.

> "Learning how to cook probably also allowed

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Steve Meyers, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 17:50:46 -0700
The argument put forward for the role of cooking plant food
in human evolution seems rather speculative.

The connection between cooking vegetables and increased body size
does have a certain logic to it, but how strong is the evidence
for such cooking?

"We strongly suspect hominids began using fire about 1.9 million years ago,
when Homo erectus appeared," he added.
He said colleagues working in Kenya have recently contacted his team and
said they have evidence that humans were controlling fire that long ago. The
most recent accepted evidence puts fire use at just 200,000 to 500,000
years ago."

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 14:55:50 -0400
Submitted by Douglas in Pittsburgh:

"This is a preview of an article to be published in Current
Anthropology in December. it apparently suggests that the
consequences of cooking vegetables outweigh the consequences
of cooking meat, not just nutritionally but socially as well.

http://cnn.com/HEALTH/diet.fitness/9908/11/science.cooking.reut/

"

This is a popular (Reuters) account of a paper due to be published in
Current Anthropology later this year. As it's a popular account we can
probably expect the story to be rather shallow on details. It's also
interesting that these scientists have chosen to speak to the press even
before their paper is published. I'm

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 15:40:21 -0400
The suggestion that cultural pressures exert a change on our diet, and may
explain unhealthy eating patterns, at a certain level this seems
unsatisfactory. There is almost indisputably some influence from culture
(for example, most Americans have a strong aversion to eating insects,
which are popular in many other cultures). But can this be the primary
explanation for bad eating patterns?

[More ...]
No Replies
Todd Moody
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 14:50:44 -0400
I'd like to invite some comments on the question of human adaption to
spice herbs.

First, let me set this up. I'm accepting as a premise the
proposition that the less exposure a population has had to a
given food, the less likely that population is to be well adapted
to it. This, I take it, is the basic premise of attempts to
emulate or implement paleolithic diets in the modern world, for
health purposes. It implies a second premise, namely that lack
of adaptation to a food makes it more likely to cause health
problems.

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
Jacques Laurin
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 21:44:48 -0400
Here are excerpts of an old article I found quite interesting.

“When an animal eats, it acts like a computer; that is, the most
sophisticated kind of computer, that could choose the best quality foods in
the right amounts, better than an expert dietitian ever could. Conversely,
man is like a broken-down computer, which compels him to eat anything,
anyhow, and which sometimes leads him to obesity or alcoholism ....
“Food, according to its chemical composition, is broken down into fats
(glycerides), sugars
(saccharides), and proteins (nitrogenous food such as eggs, grains, meat,
and fish).... “When it makes its choice,

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Steve Meyers, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 18:30:50 -0700
The latest issue of Am Jour Clin Nutrition
reports Harvard study showing higher protein intake
associated with reduced risk of heart disease among women.
This may be first prospective cohort study showing such an effect.

From Abstract:

Results: We examined the association between dietary protein intake and
incidence of ischemic heart disease in a cohort of
80082 women aged 3459 y and without a previous diagnosis of ischemic
heart disease, stroke, cancer, hypercholesterolemia, or
diabetes in 1980. Intakes of protein and other nutrients were assessed
with validated dietary questionnaires. We documented 939
major instances of ischemic heart disease during 14

[More ...]
No Replies
Mary
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 15:30:00 -0700
On the gluten (celiac) list , many say that if a breast feeding mother eats
gluten and casein, they will be present in the breast milk.

On the other hand, I had a breast feeding expert email me that gluten and
casein do NOT get into the mother's milk.

Does anyone know?
Show Replies 1 Reply
William Thornton, DC
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:32:33 -0700
Dr. Cordain,

Superb interview. A few questions for clinical applications:

1. RE: unleavend bread.
Would the problems associated with this food be mitigated (and to what
degree) by SPROUTING the grains and making an unleaved bread?

2. RE: "Foods which yield a net acidic load mainly as sulfates... Foods
which cause a net acid excretion include meat, fish, cheeses and grains.
Excess dietary protein can adversely affect bone."
What then is the effect of supplemental sulfur, as MSM
(Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane), for the symptoms of arthritis? Are we merely
adding to the acid burden in the body with MSM, resorbing more bone?

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:56:20 -0400
Here are some interesting web links.

TOPICS IN HUNTING AND GATHERING

http://www.unl.edu/rhames/courses/forout97.htm

This is an extensive course description for a class at the University of
Nebraska on hunter/gatherer lifestyles. The instructor is one Raymond
Hames. Hunters and Gatherers Anthropology is a course taught by Raymond
Hames at U. of Nebraska. Includes lecture notes on the book The Foraging
Spectrum
which outlines the important research issues, theory, and problems in
hunter-gatherer research.

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 22:38:54 -0400
The Paleolithic Diet and Its Modern Implications is an Interview with Loren
Cordain, PhD done by Robert Crayhon, MS (both, by astonishing coincidence,
members of our little group). The interview is at:

http://www.lifeservices.com/cordain.htm
No Replies
Luc De Bry
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:13:58 +0200
Cooking or not cooking and potential genetic defect, in response to

Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 11:37:04 -0400
From: Jacques Laurin <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Cooking or not cooking

... (snipped for space reason)

For any culinary artifice,there is a reason to ask :

> whether a genetic adaptation has been or would have been necessary
> whether such adaptation is possible
> whether it has had time to occur

[More ...]
No Replies
Steve Meyers, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:22:30 -0700
There is also a lengthy and quite interesting investigation
of the science on raw vs. cooked food at:

http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-1a.shtml

Steve Meyers
No Replies
Steve Meyers, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:15:26 -0700
There is a nice discussion of fire and cooking in human evolution
by Ward Nicholson at:

http://www.beyondveg.com/nicholson-w/hb/hb-interview2a.shtml

Steve Meyers
No Replies
Ruediger Hoeflechner
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:49:12 -0400
Most of us like the smell and the taste of fried or grilled meat (potatoes
...hmmh). Obviously this preference has something to do with substances,
that are produced during the Maillard reaction. But chemical analyses do
not explain why we like these substances. Are we only imprinted to mothers
steaks or does this reflect an adaptational process, fixed in our genes?
Have our nutritional preferences changed to cooked and fried foods as an
adaptation to a long hominid use of fire?

[More ...]
No Replies
Jacques Laurin
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 11:37:04 -0400
Hello

I would appreciate comments on this text about the problems of cooking.

"Through the working of natural selection, each species adapts to the conditions of its
habitat. Such adaptation, however, takes many generations ; the genetic code changes
very slowly over time (less than 1 % in the six million years since our forebears diverged
from the chimpanzees). The practice of cooking is quite recent in relation to the biological
time scale, each new alimentary challenge introduced by intelligent artifice may pose a
new metabolic problem and entail pathological consequences. For any culinary artifice,
there is a reason to

[More ...]
Show Replies 4 Replies
Dean Esmay
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:54:42 -0400
Submitted by one of our archaeologist friends:

---

http://www2.ari.net/rjohnson/articles/VOLCANO.UIL.html

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- A new hypothesis about recent human evolution
suggests that a horrific "volcanic winter" 71,000 years ago, followed by
the coldest 1,000 years of the last Ice Age, brought widespread famine and
death to modern human populations around the world. The abrupt
"bottleneck," or decrease, in our ancestors' populations, in turn, brought
about the rapid "differentiation" -- or genetic divergence -- of the
surviving population.

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Dean Esmay
Sat, 8 May 1999 11:08:11 -0400
I notice that the above-mentioned article about the dig in Kenya found fish
bones among the fauna apparently processed with stone tools at the site.

If I'm not mistaken, this may be the earliest evidence of fish consumption
by humans to date. Although the fish bones were less than 1% of the fauna
remains found at the site, they were clearly there, along with other
aquatic animals. (see
http://www.nature.com/server-java/Propub/nature/399057A0.table-1 )
-=-

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
Dean Esmay
Sat, 8 May 1999 10:55:59 -0400
http://www.nature.com/server-java/Propub/nature/399057A0.frameset?context=toc Ñ
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sun, 2 May 1999 16:51:04 -0400
Interesting:

http://www.wau.nl/vlag/ndosymp.html
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sun, 2 May 1999 16:49:06 -0400
Two modern ailments closely linked?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_328000/328914.stm
No Replies
Staffan Lindeberg
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:21:31 +0200
No abstract is available available for this message. [Read Message ...]
No Replies
Arthur De Vany
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:45:57 -0700
Coterminous with Loren Cordain's appearance on Dateline NBC will be an
article on Evolutionary Fitness and Diet to appear in Women's Health and
Fitness (this month's issue I am told). In addition, one episode of a PBS
TV series called Closer to the Truth will feature Roy Walford (the UCLA
scientist who exposes under eating) and myself, along with geneticists and
doctors discussing diet and fitness. The Closer to the Truth series will
air in the top 25 PBS markets starting next fall.

[More ...]
No Replies
Todd Moody
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:38:11 -0400
Since Dean has recently posted some URLs related to lectins, I
thought I'd add this one:
http://www.dadamo.com/literature/lrc.htm

This is Peter D'Adamo's web site and a lenthy essay by him about
lectins. On the same page, further down, is some interesting
material about ABO-specific differences in alkaline phosphatase
secretion and its possible relevance to fat digestion.

Todd Moody
No Replies
Steve Meyers, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 14:07:56 -0700
In reference to Dean's recent posting, here is the main point:

THE idea that our ancestors died very young may be a myth based on a
statistical error, according to a team of British archaeologists. They say a bias
in the methods used for analysing human bones can underestimate the true age
of death by as much as 30 years.

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 15:56:49 -0400
There seems to be a lot of this in the news lately:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/hominid990422.html
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 15:54:36 -0400
Recently receieved in email, a call for papers. This appears to have been
translated from Spanish and in parts the language is a little rough.

DOC 012
INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM
ETHNOBOTANY
MEDICINAL PLANTS, FOLK TRADITIONS, HISTSORY, PHARMACOLOGY
Under auspices Universidad para La Paz, Costa Rica, Set.,14-18,1999

GuideIines for authors

1. Deadline for manuscripts: 28 May, 1999.

2. Manuscript Length and Preparation
Max. 30 pages of 30 lines each (~ 20%) typed on standard-size (8.5 x 11
inches ) paper using 1.5 line spacing.

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 15:49:32 -0400
A member who prefers to remain anonymous forwarded these interesting pages
to me. I thought I'd forward them on to you all.

http://www.cryst.bbk.ac.uk/research/lectin/lectin.html
http://www.vectorlabs.com/Lectins/Ldescript.html
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 15:48:04 -0400
More:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/sci/tech/newsid_326000/326037.stm
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 15:45:20 -0400
http://www.msnbc.com/news/261775.asp
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 15:43:34 -0400
Interesting article:

http://www.newscientist.com/ns/19990313/itnstory1999031312.html
No Replies
Andrew Millard
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:54:41 +0000
From: Brian J. MacLean
Re: Response to Loren Cordain and Sally Fallon and Mary Enig

This letter is in Reponses to comments made by Loren Cordain on November 18,
1998 and by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig on December 4, 1998 to a letter I
posted on November 16,1998 ( Paleo Querries). I apologize for the delay in
response, but I have been off the net and intensively 'studying' free
radicals' effects on the skin in the Florida and California sun ( Loren's
right-there's really something to that theory- I've got all kinds of new
wrinkles!). I

[More ...]
No Replies
Ruediger Hoeflechner
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 13:20:51 -0400
Del Thiessen, Professor of Evolutionary Psychology at the University of Texas in Austin, and member of our Symposium has written a book with the title
"The Darwinian Diet and Exercise Program". On his homepage you can find more information about it, a newsletter, and some links:

http://www.savagedawn.com/

Sounds interesting
Rüdiger Höflechner
No Replies
Charles Hunt
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:27:45 -0800
Looking for successfu paleodieters in Boston area for netwrk news feature to
shoot in about 30 days. Please email me ASAP with your name, brief bio, phone &
best times to reach you.
Thanks!
Charles Hunt
fax 310.474.5711
phone 310.470.1339
No Replies
Jennie Brand Miller
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 18:15:16 +1000
Hi Mandy,

I am interested in the sugars in paleolithic diets. As far as I'm aware
there's almost nothing on the individual sugar ratios. However, my guess
it that there would have been more fructose than glucose or sucrose. Honey
is a rich source of fructose and many fruits have higher amounts of
fructose than other sugars. Although domesticated fruit have higher sugars
content, I think the present individual sugar ratios would be a reasonable
estimation of paleolithic ratios.

[More ...]
No Replies
Steve Meyers, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 21:21:20 -0800
Here's a post from a while back that I happened to save;
maybe Jennie has more to add...

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 11:27:10 +0700
From: Jennie Brand Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Sucrose would have been one of the major sources of energy in
primate diets coming from the fruits and berries in roughly equal
proportions with glucose and fructose. Thus high levels of sugars have
been in a diet since the beginning of evolution of humans. Even though
sucrose is the starting product in many sweet foods, by the time we eat it
it has been hydrolysed to glucose and fructose

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 18:58:10 -0500
I know nothing about this book or its contents but it may be of interest:

No Replies
Mandi Smallhorne
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:33:44 +0200
Are any subscribers to the Paleolithic Diet Symposium aware of any
published information or any research into the kinds of sugars which would
have formed part of the paleolithic diet? I am especially interested in
results concerning fructose, and the overall balance of sugars as opposed
to other carbohydrates.
Mandi Smallhorne, editor, PhysioForum
South Africa
No Replies
Steve Meyers, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:47:27 -0800
Many of you may recall the very interesting dialogue that took
place last year between Loren Cordain and Sally Fallon and Mary Enig.
Two of the main points of contention were:

(1) The levels of saturated fat that were likely present in
Paleolithic diets, and

(2) The association between dietary saturated fat and coronary
heart disease (CHD).

[More ...]
No Replies
Donna H
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:00:26 -0800
I haven't researched the Western diet vs. the rest of the world to any
sizable extent, but the more I hear about it, the more I wonder how
much data there is about those *not* in the West who adopt a Western
diet.

Do we know that the same rate of disease prevails among Westerners
living in Europe or Asia but with the eating habits usually attributed
to Americans?

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:37:27 -0500
Interesting articles on the Sterkfontein Cave findings are to be found here:

http://www.frd.ac.za/special_article.htm

and here:

http://www.wits.ac.za/press_releases/clarke.html

-=-

"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out,
which is the exact opposite." --Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:04:38 -0500
Noemi Creagan asked me to re-post this message here for her.

Please send responses either to the Paleodiet list
([log in to unmask]) and/or directly to her in the email she
gives below.

Dean
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 21:14:50 -0500
An interesting paper on this subject is to be found at:

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/nov16/kidson/kidson.html

-=-

Ad astra per aspera
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 18:18:48 -0500
INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM
ETHNOBOTANY
Medicinal Plants: Folk Traditions, History, Pharmacology
14-18 September, 1999. San José (Costa Rica)

Organised by:
under the auspices of:
Universidad para la Paz, Costa Rica

From 14 to 18 September 1999, the 1st International Symposium on
the History and Folk tradition of Medicinal Plants will be organised in
Costa Rica, the largest biodiversity center of the World. The amin topics
will be the history of medicicnal plants from antiquity to present times,
folk traditions (past and present), scientific knowledge, integration of
folk tradition into medicine, ethnobotany and pharmacology, with

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 11:31:01 -0500
Forwarded from a subscriber:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/sci/tech/newsid_255000/255725.stm
for links to several sites
also see http://www.sciencemag.org/ 15 Jan 1999
No Replies
Mark Moore
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:13:10 -0700
Hello,

On Sat. 9 Jan 1999, Todd Moody wrote:
>>The arg:lys ratio of the nut proteins is
>>significantly higher than that of most
>>other foods...

This is a thought provoking concept for a layman like me that unhealthy
foods might have a certain amino acid profile.

Has anyone ever seen an amino acid breakdown for beef from organic,
free-range cows? Would the ranking of amino acids be different than
that in beef from grain-fed cows? How difficult would it be for an
individual to have a lab run an amino acid analysis on both types of
meat?

[More ...]
No Replies
Todd Moody
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:59:59 -0500
On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, John Apsley wrote:

Off the top of my memory, bovine (cow) dairy products
actually have a relatively high amount of arginine
compared to lysine, hence many people with herpes I or
II, which may be activated or aggravated by too much
Arginine, can take lysine to hasten recovery from herpes
painful lesion outbreaks. In your references, the second
one clearly states the ratio as Lysine:Arginine, not
Arginine: Lysine. This means, if I am correct, that your
table is headed incorrectly. The ratios may all be for
Lysine::Arginine, or am I incorrect?

[More ...]
No Replies
Liza May
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:26:24 -0500
An interesting new study on population growth spurts and small mammal
consumption during the late Middle Paleolithic:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/283/5399/190
No Replies
Todd Moody
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 22:35:46 -0500
In light of recent postings concerning the benefits of nut
consumption, in conjunction with the fact that nuts would have
been part of the human diet during most or all of our
evolutionary history, I want to share a conjecture or two.
Since I am not a scientist or any sort of expert in nutrition, I
hope those who are more qualified will comment.

[More ...]
No Replies
ALLEN EWART GALE
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 23:32:29 +1000
From: ALLEN EWART GALE <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re Book for the overweight teenager

>The authors of a popular book advocating a "paleolithic diet" would be well
>advised, in my view, to seek rigorous criticism before they publish.
>Asking for criticism from experts in fields other than biology and medicine
>would be an important part of that.
Agreed.
Have a look at the Vancouver Document at :-
http://www.mja.com.au/public/information/uniform.html
A relevant passage reads:-
"Medical Journals and the Popular Media
The public's interest in news of medical research has led the popular media
to compete vigorously to get information about
research as soon as

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 13:56:53 -0500
Doctors Peterson & Peterson ask in their message of 28 December 1998 about
whether popularization of dietary theories limits the credibility of the
theories espoused. In that regard I have some thoughts:

A disturbing trend I've noticed in our discussion group has been the
apparent assumption by some members that there is a universally
acknowledged definition of a "paleolithic diet" (or pre-agricultural diet).
This seems to revolve around the work of people like Boyd Eaton and
analyses of the dietary patterns of pre-agricultural groups that exist now
or did exist in the last few centuries which all seem to point

[More ...]
No Replies
ALLEN EWART GALE
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 13:43:23 +1000
>Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 19:15:29 +0300
>From: Raymond Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Book for the overweight teenager
>I am a pediatrician with an extensive research and clinical background.
>Together with my son, a cardiologist, we are writing a book for the parents
>of overweight teenagers regarding the utility of the "paleodiet".
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 15:40:50 -0500
A better URL for the iodine/Neanderthal issue:

http://www.mindspring.com/~edobson/jdobson/neander.html

-=-

Ad astra per aspera
No Replies
Raymond Peterson
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 19:15:29 +0300
I am a pediatrician with an extensive research and clinical background.
Together with my son, a cardiologist, we are writing a book for the parents
of overweight teenagers regarding the utility of the "paleodiet". Our
considerable clinical experience with patients prompts us to assemble the
substantial data on this subject in a form that will be credible and
understandable to the lay public.

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 18:59:57 -0500
The Paleodiet Symposium recently reached 270 members, I'm pleased to announce.

A question has come up as to how researchers and academics should be
invited to the listserv. For those who wish to encourage their colleagues
to join our discussion group, simply forward the following to them:

----[snip here]----

THE PALEOLITHIC DIET & EXERCISE SYMPOSIUM is a non-profit, semi-private,
semi-formal online discussion forum for professional scientists and
educated laymen to discuss evolution as it involves the human diet and
physical activity patterns. Members are made up primarily of biologists,
archaeologists, paleontologists, medical doctors, dietetians, and graduate
students in related fields.

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 21:27:58 -0500
An interesting web page:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/282/5393/1448

-=-

"Gimme that ring, ya hairy-footed varmint! Gimme that ring
or I'll blast ya!"
--Yosemite Nazgul
No Replies
JJM van den Broek
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:38:23 -0800
> I suppose this is almost too obvious and trivial to mention, but peanuts
> are not nuts.
Dean, that's right, it is ALMOST too obvious and trivial to mention
8-).

If you are referring to the Science Online article and its references,
the full body of the article clearly states the difference between
legumes and true nuts...I'd rather assumed the full text of the article
would be read by those interested, and the references were provided to
show the breadth of the studies; finally, if I remember correctly, the
clear "winner" in the nuts/nut oils/lipids was, overall, whole almonds;

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 07:46:20 -0500
I suppose this is almost too obvious and trivial to mention, but peanuts
are not nuts.

-=-

Ad astra per aspera
No Replies
JJM van den Broek
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 00:38:36 -0800
More
> Support for the contention that the human animal may have evolved a need
> for monosaturated fats in the diet

Science News Online (11/21/98): High-Fat and Healthful,
http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arc98/11_21_98/Bob1.htm for full text of
article and "further reading"

excerpt:

>...The good news is that not all of this high-fat fare is necessarily bad for one’s health. In fact, some of the treats could serve as a springboard to a healthier diet, a variety of researchers believe. The trick—and, of course, there is a trick—is not only to sample these foods in moderation but also to steer toward those that derive

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:51:56 -0500
Support for the contention that the human animal may have evolved a need
for monosaturated fats in the diet:

"Frequent Nut Consumption and Risk of Coronary Heart Disease in Women:
Prospective Cohort Study"

British Medical Journal 317: 1341-1345 November 14, 1998

Abstract:

Objective: To examine the relation between nut consumption and risk of
coronary heart disease in a cohort of women from the Nurses' Health Study.

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 15:26:24 -0500
An interesting popular article:

http://oakridger.com/stories/112598/new_salt.html

Popular articles on scientific subjects can be very frustrating, however.
Does anyone have more information on the subject of this article?

-=-

"Gimme that ring, ya hairy-footed varmint! Gimme that ring
or I'll blast ya!"
--Yosemite Nazgul
No Replies
Ward Nicholson
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:54:20 -0600
Regarding the "grandmother hypothesis," an up-to-date critique of some of
the problems, hurdles, and criticisms it faces is at:

http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/working/plee.n97.html

--Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 10:58:38 -0500
Here is a nice article on medicine and evolution from Scientific American:

http://www.sciam.com/1998/1198issue/1198nesse.html

-=-

"Gimme that ring, ya hairy-footed varmint! Gimme that ring
or I'll blast ya!"
--Yosemite Nazgul
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 16:53:17 -0500
Regarding Linda Scott Cummings' comments on seeds in the paleolithic diet:
I offer no opinion on the matter, but I point out that Mavis' point seems
to have been that it's unlikely that wild grass seeds could have been a
-primary- food source in most of the world, since these are a seasonal item
and are just one of a wide variety of foods available to pre-agricultural
peoples.

[More ...]
No Replies
Paul Bergner
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 18:42:01 -0700
To Dana's question about refined carbohydrates being a possible confounding
factor in studies relating meat consumption with the development of cancer, here
is slightly tangential but not too far afield response Recent studies in animals
have demonstrated a tumor promoting effect for hyperinsulinemia. See, for
instance,

Koohestani N, Tran TT, Lee W, Wolever TM, Bruce WR. Insulin resistance and
promotion of aberrant crypt foci in the colons of rats. on a high-fat diet. Nutr
Cancer 1997;29(1):69-76

[More ...]
No Replies
Ruediger Hoeflechner
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 13:45:01 -0500
An appendix to Brian Mac Lean=B4s question and Loren Cordain=B4s post about
paleolithic longevity: The existence of a female menopause in humans is a
strong evidence for a maximal paleolithic lifespan that widely exceeds
average life expectancy. Can we suppose, that the paleolithic population
pyramid of Homo sapiens was slim (due to higher mortality rates in each
decade), but had the same height as a modern one? In Austria (8 million
inhabitants) we have more than 300 centenarians. Were there sporadic
centenarian humans 100.000 or 15.000 years ago? Or in modern paleolithic
surrogates: There is no question, that some of

[More ...]
No Replies
kbemmott
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 10:41:27 -0800
3) Is there a reference to support the claim that prior to 1922 the Joslin
Clinic had never had a live birth to a live woman?

There was a review article in the
american Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology about 1985, from the Joslin
Clinic. I'll try and track it down.
Dr. K. Emmott
No Replies
Ruediger Hoeflechner
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 13:37:18 -0500
On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Loren Cordain wrote: "Females of our species are quite
unusual in the animal world; except for a single species of whale, no other
mammal experiences menopause."

Maybe we are less unique....
The following article quotes some other female mammals with a
post-reproductive phase:

Reproductive cessation in female mammals.

Packer C, Tatar M, Collins A

[More ...]
No Replies
Linda Scott Cummings
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 03:36:10 EST
ME Wood writes:
<< Paleolithic man lived by definition before agriculture and therefore
before cities and industrialisation. Therefore he must have subsisted by
hunting,gathering and fishing. Before agriculture any wild grains would
be harvested, if at all, when the seeds were ripe and are unlikely to
have been a major part of the diet.

I'm at a loss about the interpretation that Paleolithic man was unlikely to
have included seeds as a major part of the diet, if they were present at all.
Where does this come from? Is there any evidence? Certainly agricultural
grains are not the only seeds

[More ...]
No Replies
Sandy Rzetelny
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:52:51 EST
In a message dated 11/24/98 3:28:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Females of our species are quite unusual in the animal
world; except for a single species of whale, no other mammal experiences
menopause. How is it that natural selection could have ever selected for
early shut down of reproductive capacity before the end of the full
lifespan? >>

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
Dean Esmay
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 20:34:22 -0500
1) What is the scientific evidence regarding the existence of pesticide
residues in modern meats? What is the extent of evidence that said
residues are carcinogenic? And what is the evidence regarding whether or
not plant foods are somehow safer in this regard?

2) What medical authorities have advanced the suggestion that standard
treatment protocols for gestational diabetes are ineffective?

[More ...]
No Replies
Steve Meyers, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 13:21:51 PST
Brian MacLean posted, and Loren Cordain responded:

4. "With regard to pathology, a high intake of red meat has been
associated quite consistently with the development of cancers (6)."

There is no doubt that multiple epidemiological studies have shown
an association between high consumption of red meat intake and many types of
cancers. However, there is just as strong epidemiological evidence to show
a relationship between saturated fat intake and cancers (checkout medline,
there are thousands of references). Because, modern commercially available
red meat contain enormous amounts of saturated fat (a t-bone steak with 10%
fat by weight contains 50%

[More ...]
No Replies
kbemmott
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 11:39:50 -0800
Dr. M. Kern wrote:

"....And second, many diseases which cause middle aged and geriatric
mortality, also markedly decrease fecundity, during childbearing years. One
prominent example is diabetes mellitus. This illness is skyrocketing in
modern
populations, particularly in populations which are not European or
Mediterranean, and who have a shorter history of agricultural life. In
females who have genetic susceptibility to this disease, it is common to
show gestational diabetes with the second or later pregnancy. This state is
extremely prejudicial to fetal development, and constitutes a high risk
pregnancy. High risk for the fetus and the mother. The baby is

[More ...]
No Replies
Bob Avery
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 00:33:24 -0500

>hunter gatherers (n=229) listed in Murdock's Ethnographic Atlas, the
>median and modal values for animal food subsistence is 56-65% whereas
>the median and modal value for plant food subsistence is 26-35%.

Loren, just to clarify, when these percentages are bandied about, are we
referring to (1) caloric values, (2) volume, or (3) weight?
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 20:09:20 -0500
Update: Our list continues to grow, but slowly. Our grouup consists of two
hundred-odd members, a majority with Ph.D.'s in various fields, a large
number of the remainder being graduate students or people with Master's
degrees in fields such as paleontology, biology, archaeology, etc.

I would, however, like to see our list grow to include even more members in
academia or professional research. Thus I would like to encourage those of
you who are professional scientists to mention the Paleodiet Symposium to
your colleagues. Being added to our (completely non-commercial, non-profit,
and free) mailing list is a simple matter of

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 19:51:07 -0500
From BBC News Online, a piece on milk in ancient diets:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/sci/tech/newsid_218000/218473.stm

From Science Magazine, a piece on a 9000 year-old settlement once thought
to be agricultural:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/282/5393/1441

-=-

"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out,
which is the exact opposite." --Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
No Replies
Brian J. Mac Lean
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 18:56:16 -0400
I have recently investigated the Paleolithic diet literature and a number of basic issues interest and puzzle me. First, it seems that to identify with a particular lifestyle or practice, one requires a reasonable body of empirical knowledge of the aforementioned. It appears that this basic condition is not satisfied in the case of aspiring modern day Paleolithic nutritional adepts. The available information on Paleolithic peoples is so scanty that it seems specious to believe that one can follow their nutritional practices with more than a modicum of accuracy. The picture we have of contemporary hunter-gatherers suggests that few conclusions

[More ...]
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 15:56:07 -0500
http://www.otago.ac.nz/Anthropology/Pacific/map.html
This is the University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand Anthropology
department's research in the Pacific. It may interest those who are
researchers in Pacific peoples.
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 06:22:18 -0500
http://www.mcc.ac.uk/museum/general/mummy.htm
-=-

The mind is not a vessel to be filled. It's a fire to be lit. - Plutarch
No Replies
Dean Esmay
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 22:19:33 -0500
http://web.culture.fr/culture/arcnat/chauvet/en/gvpda-d.htm
No Replies
Ray Audette
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 11:47:47 -0800
I am now working on the expanded hardcover edition of NeanderThin which
will be published in the spring of 1999 by St. Martin's Press of NYC.

I have several additional chapters in mind but would like sugestions of
topics from those members of this list who are familar with my work and
it's current deficiencies. Potential chapter titles in Biblical style
are optional!

[More ...]
No Replies
Jennie Brand Miller
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 13:31:21 +1100
Hi Everyone,

I've been assigned the task of arranging speakers for a symposium on
Indigeous Foods at the World Congress of Food Science and Technology which
will be held in Sydney next October. I've decided to give it a paleolithic
nutrition emphasis. I'm trying to find speakers from outside of the USA,
Europe, or Australia (from which we already have numerous speakers). Would
anyone on this list be aware of anyone in South America, Africa, China or
SE Asia with an interest in paleolithic nutrition? If so please email me
at [log in to unmask] We are primarily interested in
speakers with established

[More ...]
No Replies
luc de bry
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 01:14:29 -0700
Good evening Ron,

From the Paleodiet Digest of 20-23 Oct., I had forwarded your email to
the Food Law listserver of the Institute of Food Technologists,
http://www.ift.org/

Here forwarded is a first answer from Dr. Beverly McCabe. Hope that it
will be of some help to your grandson.

Regards,

Luc
No Replies
Ron Hoggan
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 22:48:28 -0600
Hi all,
I wonder if I could get your help? My grandson, now 3 months old, can't
tolerate milk, so he is on soy formula. Unfortunately, he is showing some
evidence of reacting to that too. I have recently heard that there is such
a thing as a meat-based formula, but I can't find any information on it.

[More ...]
No Replies
Art De Vany
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:42:34 -0800
Stefansson's experiment does show that an all meat diet can sustain life for
a year. But that is all; I see no other implications beyond that. Whether
plaque may have formed in their blood vessels during that year or what
possible longer term effects the experiment may have had are open questions.

But, my main point is this: how does any one live for a year in a hospital?
What are the consequences of this virtual imprisonment? How does the
induced stress of confinement and restricted activities, stimulation, and
variety impact on health?

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies